Barack Obama to be sworn in on Lincoln Inaugural BibleDecember 24th, 2008 - 11:41 am ICT by ANI
Washington, December 24 (ANI): U.S. President-elect Barack Obama will be sworn into office on the same Bible as was used by Abraham Lincoln at his first inauguration in 1861.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee has made an announcement in this regard.
Obama is a great admirer of Lincoln.
(The former president possessed) a humility about his approach to government, even before he was president, that I just find very helpful,” CBS News quoted him as telling 60 Minutes” Steve Kroft during an interview.
It is also worth notice that Obama had announced his candidacy at the Old State House in Springfield, Illinois, where Lincoln delivered the “House Divided” speech.
Besides, Obama has never been shy about drawing comparisons to Lincoln.
“Not only is Lincoln one of my political heroes, but like Lincoln, I served for seven years in Springfield in the state Senate, and it’’s there I learned how to legislate, it’’s there that I developed many of my political ideas,” he said.
The Bible used for Lincolns inauguration is a part of the Library of Congress collections.
“(It) is bound in burgundy velvet with a gold-washed white metal rim around the three outside edges of both covers,” said a release.
“All its edges are heavily gilded. In the center of the top cover is a shield of gold wash over white metal with the words ”Holy Bible” chased into it. The book is 15 cm long, 10 cm wide, and 4.5 cm deep when closed,” the release added.
Emmett Beliveau, the Executive Director of the Presidential Inaugural Committee, has revealed that Obama is happy about his inauguration on the Bible, published in 1853.
“President-elect Obama is deeply honored that the Library of Congress has made the Lincoln Bible available for use during his swearing-in. The President-elect is committed to holding an Inauguration that celebrates America’’s unity, and the use of this historic Bible will provide a powerful connection to our common past and common heritage,” Beliveau said.
The Lincoln Inaugural Bible will be on display at the Library of Congress February 12th to May 9th, 2009, as part of an exhibition titled With Malice Toward None: The Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Exhibition. It will then travel to five other American cities. (ANI)
- Obama to be sworn in using the Lincoln bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Abraham Lincoln's Bible to come out of archives for Obama - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama to take oath on Lincoln's Bible - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama first president to use Lincoln's Bible - Jan 20, 2009
- Obama may not be taking oath on Lincolns Bible after all! - Jan 20, 2009
- Obama, Biden to take train to Washington for inauguration - Dec 16, 2008
- "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" trailer released - Feb 14, 2012
- America greets its 44th President Barack Obama with a deafening roar - Jan 21, 2009
- Daniel Day Lewis transforms into Abraham Lincoln - Aug 08, 2012
- 10th anniversary of 9/11 attack marked by 911 memorial - Sep 12, 2011
- Donner Party Documents Found With Lincoln's Handwriting - Jul 21, 2010
- Obama to be served Lincoln-themed food on Inauguration day - Jan 14, 2009
- US President Barack Obama read the psalm 46 at 9/11 anniversary - Sep 13, 2011
- Obamas inaugural parade tickets sell out in less than a minute - Jan 10, 2009
- Putin, Obama to meet after presidential inauguration - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: abraham lincoln, barack obama, beliveau, burgundy velvet, candidacy, cbs news, congress collections, gold wash, heritag, holy bible, inauguration, library of congress, metal rim, political heroes, powerful connection, president elect, presidential inaugural committee, springfield illinois, state senate, steve kroft