Barack Obama admits he was a victim of bullyingMarch 11th, 2011 - 1:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, March 12 (ANI): Barack Obama has confessed that he was bullied as a kid.
While opening a White House summit on preventing bullying, the US President said that he was taunted over his ‘big ears’ and unusual name.
“Bullying isn’t a problem that makes headlines every day, but every day it touches the lives of people all across the country,” the Telegraph quoted Obama as saying, noting a growing movement among young people to combat youth harassment.
“If there is one goal of this conference, it is to dispel the myth that bullying is just a harmless rite of passage or an inevitable part of growing up.
“It’s not. Bullying can have destructive consequences for our young people,” he added.
Obama, who has written of his own sometimes difficult childhood in Hawaii and Indonesia, said as he opened the conference that he had experience being on the receiving end of taunts.
“As adults, we all remember what it was like to see kids picked on in the hallways or in the schoolyard.
“I have to say with big ears and the name that I have, I wasn’t immune. I didn’t emerge unscathed,” he added. (ANI)
- Obama was taunted for his 'big ears' as a child - Mar 11, 2011
- Big-eared Obama got bullied as kid - Mar 11, 2011
- How to save your child from bullying - Jan 25, 2011
- US mother sends son with gun to school - May 08, 2012
- Scottish schoolgirls forced into net porn by boyfriends - Mar 08, 2011
- The cost of getting a new nose in Asia (The Funny Side) - Aug 10, 2012
- 1 in 10 teenagers a victim of cyberbullies - Apr 10, 2010
- Obama releases long form birth certificate to end debate - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Birther' debate will only bring short-term gains for GOP: Obama - Apr 15, 2011
- For designer Kiran, large size clothes are success mantra - Nov 30, 2011
- Cyber-bullying - the most common form of bullying - Nov 13, 2009
- Why India must become more aware of product designs (June 29 is World Industrial Design Day) - Jun 28, 2012
- Barack Obama - battling mystique and realpolitik (Profile) - Nov 04, 2010
- Anti-gay bullying unacceptable: Nick Jonas - Jan 21, 2012
- Atherton's ridicule of baggy greens leaves Australians simmering - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: adults, barack obama, big ears, destructive consequences, difficult childhood, hallways, harassment, hawaii, headlines, indonesia, london march, myth, rite of passage, schoolyard, summit, taunts, telegraph, white house