Bangladesh’s political rivals woo ChinaJune 16th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 16 (IANS) Setting aside their political rivalry, Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and opposition leader Khaleda Zia have urged the visiting Chinese vice president to forge stronger economic ties and military cooperation with Dhaka.
Meeting Xi Jinping separately Tuesday, they covered similar issues, seeking a bridging of trade gap that is several times in favour of China and Beijing’s entry in strategic areas like space and port building.
Xi responded positively. He expressed his government’s gratitude to the Hasina government for supporting the ‘One China Policy’ that views Taiwan as part of the mainland, the New Age newspaper said Wednesday.
Xi recalled the March visit of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to China and said bilateral relations had entered “a new chapter”.
To Zia, under whose prime ministership (2001-06) the two countries signed a military cooperation agreement, Xi said: “You are our old and trusted friend.”
Military ties were nurtured when Zia’s late husband, General Ziaur Rahman, was the country’s president. China is the largest supplier of military hardware to Bangladesh.
Zia visited China as prime minister. Xi invited her to visit again.
During his meeting with President Zillur Rahman, Xi promised Chinese support for infrastructure, agriculture, trade, education, health, science and technology, and human resources.
- Indian Air Force chief begins Bangladesh trip - Mar 18, 2012
- BNP protests court indictment of Ziaur Rahman - Mar 24, 2011
- Deals with India top Bangladesh opposition's protest agenda - Sep 09, 2010
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- Krishna arrives in Dhaka, backs a prosperous Bangladesh (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court to have first woman judge - Feb 23, 2011
- Ziaur Rahman 'passively involved' in Mujib murder: US scribe - Mar 15, 2011
- Zia opposes transit facility to India - Nov 08, 2010
- 'Dhaka getting closer to Delhi, Beijing' - Jan 07, 2011
- PM to go on 'charm Dhaka' trip, India spotlights Bangla ties (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Myanmar president to visit Bangladesh - Jun 25, 2012
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Three East Asian economies reach out to Bangladesh - Jul 09, 2010
- 'No tickets', so Khaleda Zia skips World Cup opening - Feb 18, 2011
- Delhi wants Dhaka ties to reach 'highest possible peak' - May 06, 2011
Tags: agriculture trade, bilateral relations, china policy, chinese support, chinese vice, cooperation agreement, dhaka, economic ties, khaleda zia, military cooperation, military hardware, military ties, minister sheikh hasina, opposition leader, political rivalry, political rivals, president china, trade education, trade gap, trusted friend