Bangladesh’s anti-graft body finds ‘no merit’ in Khaleda caseNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:54 am ICT by admin
As per the findings of the preliminary enquiry about allegations against Khaleda, the anti-graft body has taken the decision that the allegations have no merit.
“As enough documents and evidence were not found for preparing a first information report [FIR] against the former prime minister, the enquiry officer in his report suggested not to proceed further in this regard,” ACC Secretary Mukhles Ur Rahman was quoted as saying at a press briefing at the ACC headquarters on Thursday.
ACC Deputy Assistant Director Farid Uddin Ahmed had submitted the report, saying no evidence or information was found to prove the allegations brought against Khaleda.
“The commission does not proceed with allegations lacking merit,” Mukhles said.
It was alleged that Khaleda played “dubious” roles in realising the compensation for the Magurchhara blow-out caused by negligence of US company Occidental in 1997 and leasing out Phulbari coal zone to Asia Energy.
According to an investigation report on the Magurchhara blow-out, awarding of the gas blocks to Occidental itself was highly controversial. The blow-out on June 14, 1997 caused a loss of Tk 3,900 crore.
The ACC is also investigating into allegations of awarding gas fields to Niko Resources involving both the BNP chairperson and Awami League chief Sheikh Hasina.
The commission is likely to publish the investigation report in November. (ANI)
- Corruption evidence against Zia, says anti-graft body - Nov 23, 2010
- Khaleda Zia slapped with case over undisclosed money - Aug 08, 2011
- Dhaka presses graft charges against Khaleda Zia's son - Jul 07, 2010
- BP sues Cameron, Deepwater Horizon owner Transocean over Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 21, 2011
- Bengal rights panel orders probe in Shiladitya Chowdhury's arrest - Aug 17, 2012
- Opposition leader asked to vacate house - Oct 17, 2010
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Khaleda Zia raps Hasina for power deal with India - Jun 08, 2010
- Jharkhand issued notice on child labour - Apr 06, 2011
- 'Zia's son deposited funds illegally in Singapore bank' - Dec 19, 2008
- Hasina, Zia in new confrontation over airport project - Feb 01, 2011
- Jaiswal refutes charges on coal block allocations - Jun 01, 2012
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- Dhumal raises Shimla ground row in Delhi; Army says no conflict - Apr 16, 2012