Bangladeshi wins Magsaysay awardAugust 3rd, 2010 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 3 (IANS) Bangladesh’s A.H.M. Noman Khan is one of the seven people chosen for the 2010 Ramon Magsaysay Award for his work among the disabled.
“In electing Noman the board recognised his pioneering leadership in mainstreaming persons with disabilities in the development process of Bangladesh, and in working vigorously with all sectors to build a society that is truly inclusive and barrier-free,” the Ramon Magsaysay Awards Foundation (RMAF) announced.
Noman, the tenth Bangladeshi to receive the award, is the executive director of Centre for Disability in Development, a non-governmental organisation. He is also secretary general of the National Forum of Organisations Working with the Disabled, Bangladesh’s online newspaper bdnews24.com said Tuesday.
Since its establishment in 1996, the CDD has trained over 10,000 development workers from 350 organisations in Bangladesh, creating opportunities for persons with disabilities
Others winners chosen for the award, Asia’s equivalent to the Nobel Prize, include Japanese anti-nuclear activist Tadatoshi Akiba, Philippine teachers Christopher Bernido and his wife Maria Victoria, Chinese photojournalist Huo Daishan and Chinese bureaucrats Pan Yue and Fu Qiping.
The winners will be honoured Aug 31 in a Manila ceremony.
The Ramon Magsaysay Award was established in 1957 in honour of the memory and leadership example of the former Philippine president who died in a plane crash.
- Japan's anti-nuclear activist wins Ramon Magsaysay Award - Aug 02, 2010
- Indian wins Ramon Magasaysay Award - Jul 26, 2012
- Self respect, not charity is our belief: Magsaysay winner - Jul 26, 2012
- Nepal confers Buddha award on Hiroshima, Nagasaki activists - May 16, 2011
- Indians Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Indians Harish Hande, Nileema Mishra win Magsaysay Award - Jul 27, 2011
- Taiwanese vegetable vendor is among Asia's Nobel winners - Jul 26, 2012
- Magsaysay winner Neelima Mishra granted US visa - Oct 03, 2011
- Magsaysay laureate Neelima Mishra denied US visa - Sep 30, 2011
- Dhaka urged to tighten anti-tobacco measures - Feb 27, 2012
- Ela Bhatt conferred Japan's Niwano Peace Prize - May 13, 2010
- Magsaysay Award for Indian social worker, Myanmar activist, Filipino environmentalist - Aug 03, 2009
- Magsaysay award is celebration of an idea: Deep Joshi - Aug 04, 2009
- Mixed reactions to Yunus sacking - Mar 03, 2011
- PM hopes Deep Joshi's work will inspire others - Aug 04, 2009
Tags: bdnews24, bureaucrats, cdd, governmental organisation, honour, maria victoria, national forum, nobel prize, noman, persons with disabilities, philippine president, photojournalist, plane crash, ramon magsaysay award, ramon magsaysay awards, ramon magsaysay awards foundation, rmaf, secretary general, wife maria, yue