Bangladeshi poet exonerated of sedition chargeNovember 14th, 2008 - 1:01 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Nov 14 (IANS) Renowned Bangladeshi writer Shahriar Kabir, charged in 2001 with sedition for speaking out in favour of religious minorities, has been exonerated by a Dhaka court.Judge Mohammad Azizul Haque of the Metropolitan Sessions Judge’s Court passed the order, The Daily Star said Friday. The charges against him in the December 2001 case were “fabricated” and “concocted”, the government told the court.
The sedition charge was slapped on Kabir when he returned from Kolkata on Nov 22, 2001, after he had met Hindu refugees who had fled Bangladesh in the wake of violence in the parliamentary poll.
Kabir wanted to organise a South Asian conference against religious extremism and had met then Indian prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee to seek support.
He was arrested at the Zia International Airport on suspicion. Police seized some cassettes and CDs on torture on minorities people immediately after the 2001 national election.
Earlier this year, Kabir was acquitted of sedition charges in another case filed in November 2001.
- Bangladeshi writer cleared of sedition charges - Oct 25, 2008
- 1975 Dhaka killings: Government may appeal against accused - Jan 11, 2011
- Bangladesh coup attempt foiled (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- BJP should always respect Vajpayee, says kin - Dec 25, 2011
- Top three of Bangladesh religious party arrested - Jun 29, 2010
- Involve people to curb terror, Khaleda Zia tells US - May 25, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Summons for Samajwadi Party MP quashed - Dec 15, 2011
- Sporadic violence marks opposition strike in Bangladesh (Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- 'Minority women' gang raped in Bangladesh in 2001-02 (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- Minority women in Bangladesh gang raped in 2001-02: report - Apr 26, 2011
- Virbhadra faces graft charge; says will resign if asked to (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Vajpayee also indicted in 2G scam, Congress tells BJP - Jul 26, 2011
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Graft case: Virbhadra gets audio tape's copy - May 22, 2012
- Dhaka may arrest top Islamist leader for war crimes - Jan 30, 2011