Bangladeshi couple jailed for 37 yearsJune 3rd, 2012 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 3 (IANS) The leader of a banned Islamist outfit in Bangladesh and his wife were Sunday sentenced to 37 years in prison for possessing weapons and bullets.
Zahidul Islam alias Boma Mizan, leader of Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh, and his wife Halina Begum alias Sharmin, were handed down the punishment by a Dhaka sessions judge, the Daily Star reported on its website.
An explosives expert of the outlawed group, Islam was captured by the Rapid Action Battalion in May 2009 in the city’s Mirpur area.
The report, however, did not specify whether the prison term was a combined one or for each individual.
- Jama'atul Mujahideen militants receive military training in Pakistan - Jun 25, 2009
- Militants were hired from India to kill Hasina, Zia: Report - Aug 06, 2009
- Key Bangladeshi militants taking training in Pakistan: Official - Jun 23, 2009
- Top JMB terrorist arrested in Bangladesh - May 15, 2009
- Myanmar outfit trained Bangladesh Islamist militants: Report - May 19, 2009
- Security tightened around Bangladesh PM following militant threat - Jan 07, 2011
- We have snapped Islamist-ultra Left nexus: Dhaka - Apr 25, 2010
- Dhaka jails two militants for 2005 serial bombings - Jun 22, 2010
- Four Bangladesh Islamist students arrested - Aug 05, 2010
- Banned outfit planning fresh bombings in poll-bound Bangladesh: report - Nov 18, 2008
- Eight suspected militants held in Bangladesh - Apr 12, 2009
- Militant chief held in Bangladesh - Jul 13, 2010
- Bangladesh PM gets death threat from militants - Jan 06, 2011
- Dhaka nabs militant who set up terror unit in India - Jul 03, 2009
- Bangladeshi militant held, explosives seized - Nov 17, 2008