Bangladesh war hero who served three armies deadMay 7th, 2011 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 7 (IANS) Qazi Nooruzzaman, a hero of Bangladesh’s liberation war who served the British Indian Navy and three armies during his lifetime, is dead. He was 86, a media report said.
The 1925-born Nooruzzaman studied chemistry at St Xavier’s College, Kolkata before joining the British Indian Navy in 1943. He fought in World War II.
In 1946, he sought transfer to the Indian Army and received his training at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
He was commissioned into the Indian Army in the second batch of the Indian Military Academy in 1947.
As his family opted to stay in Pakistan during partition, Nooruzzaman went with the Pakistan Army and retired as a Lt Colonel.
He returned to East Pakistan to manage the Narayanganj Dockyard, and briefly came back to military service during the 1965 India-Pakistan conflict.
The veteran was back in action during the 1971 freedom movement. As Mukti Bahini’s commander of Sector 7, he oversaw the operations over a vast territory spanning then East Pakistan’s western and northern flanks from Rajshahi to Thakurgaon.
For his heroic role in the war, Nooruzzaman was awarded the second highest gallantry award of the nation, the Bir Uttam.
After independence, Nooruzzaman continued to play his role as one of the “Muktijoddhas”, the soldiers who fought the freedom war.
The Daily Star Saturday said he died of old age complications in a city hospital Friday.
- Bangladeshi artists tell liberation war story in India - Dec 06, 2011
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- Bangladesh thanks India for supporting 'just' war - Dec 16, 2011
- Bangladesh PM in Tripura to revive historic, economic ties - Jan 11, 2012
- Western Naval Command's base depot commissioned - Jul 10, 2012
- '1971 war not aptly projected in Bangladesh' - Nov 12, 2011
- Indian Army chief to visit Bangladesh June 19-23 - Jun 16, 2011
- Indian Army chief to gift old Howitzer guns to Bangladesh (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Bangladesh Utsav in Kolkata from Thursday - Dec 16, 2010
- Maharaja of Jaipur Bhawani Singh is dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Gen. V.K. Singh: Tough soldier who lost a legal battle (Profile) - Feb 10, 2012
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Bangladesh war hero to be buried with military honors on Monday - Nov 21, 2010
- Gen Bikram Singh assumes command of Indian Army (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: college kolkata, dockyard, east pakistan, freedom movement, heroic role, india pakistan conflict, indian army, indian military academy, indian navy, liberation war, lt colonel, mukti, northern flanks, pakistan army, qazi, rajshahi, sector 7, st xavier, war hero, world war ii