Bangladesh Supreme Court to hear Yunus’ plea TuesdayApril 4th, 2011 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, April 4 (IANS) Bangladesh’s Supreme Court will on Tuesday hear the plea of Grameen Bank founder Muhammad Yunus challenging his removal from the managing director’s post last month.
A seven-member bench of the Appellate Division, headed by Chief Justice A.B.M. Khairul Haque passed the order Monday.
The Nobel laureate filed the petition Sunday challenging a high court verdict last month dismissing his plea against his removal.
Yunus, 70, who founded the bank in 1976, has moved the apex court against an order of the Bangladesh Bank, the country’s central bank, removing him on the ground that he is overaged.
The central bank said Yunus had failed to seek its approval when he was reappointed as managing director in 2000, violating one of the statutes of the partly state-owned Grameen Bank.
He was represented by former law minister Kamal Hossain, barrister Rokanuddin Mahmud and barrister Sara Hossain while Attorney General Mahbubey Alam appeared for the government, reported Star Online, the website of The Daily Star.
Yunus and nine board members of the micro finance bank March 9 filed two separate provisional leave-to-appeal petitions with the apex court, seeking a stay on the operation of the verdict and the Bangladesh Bank order.
His removal March 2 has been criticised at home and by many governments, including the US and France.
“Friends of Grameen”, a body of international luminaries headed by former Irish prime minister Mary Robinson, is also campaigning for Yunus’ reinstatement.
- Bangladesh apex court dismisses Grameen, Yunus appeals - May 05, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Bangladesh court adjourns Yunus hearing till April 4 - Mar 29, 2011
- Yunus loses appeal against ouster from Grameen Bank (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court dismisses Grameen, Yunus appeals (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Nobel laureate Yunus loses Bangladesh court appeal - Apr 05, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court adjourns Yunus hearing - Apr 06, 2011
- Yunus remains Grameen Bank chief despite court verdicts - May 07, 2011
- Apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Grameen Yunus's petition hearing put off for two weeks - Mar 15, 2011
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- Full bench of Bangladesh apex court to hear Yunus's appeal (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Yunus moves apex court against removal from Grameen Bank - Mar 09, 2011
- Dhaka court hears petition challenging Yunus' ouster - Mar 06, 2011
- Bangladesh court verdict on Muhammad Yunus plea Sunday - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: apex court, appellate division, bangladesh bank, bank founder, barrister, court verdict, finance bank, grameen bank, international luminaries, irish prime minister, kamal hossain, khairul, law minister, mahmud, mary robinson, micro finance, muhammad yunus, nobel laureate, reinstatement, s central