Bangladesh students protest against rampant ‘eve teasing, sexual harassment of women ‘November 4th, 2010 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Dhaka, Nov 3 (ANI): A large number of school and college students held a rally in Dhaka to protest against ‘eve teasing’ and the sexual harassment of women.
According to the BBC, the rally was the latest in a series of protests following a number of suicides and killings involving women subjected to bullying and harassment.
The protestors have urged the Bangladesh government to take proper steps to curb sexual harassment and provide better protection for women.
“Some right-wing parties say that if the girls wear a veil, then they can escape Eve teasing, but we don’t think so. We need tougher legislation and it should be properly implemented to stop this menace,” one of the protestors said.
Young girls often face verbal abuse, taunts and stalkers, and critics are forcibly silenced. Those harassing them are often their school colleagues or men in the street, the report said.
According to activists, eve teasing and sexual harassment has led to the deaths of more than 24 people, most of them women, since the beginning of this year in the country. In recent days, some who have spoken out against sexual harassment have been murdered, it added. (ANI)
- Bangladesh empowers mobile courts to stop eve teasing - Nov 11, 2010
- Bangladeshis raise voice against sexual harassment - Jun 19, 2010
- Eve teasing in Bangladesh causing many women to commit suicide - Jun 16, 2010
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- Pakistani nurses vulnerable to sexual harassment - Aug 05, 2012
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- Trinamool MLA clarifies 'short skirt' remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- How to save your child from bullying - Jan 25, 2011
- Bengal girl commits suicide after sexual harassment - Aug 14, 2012
- Children with food allergies are often victims of bullying: Study - Sep 28, 2010
- Bangladesh youths assault teachers over teasing girls - Jun 30, 2011
- School violence costs India yearly US$7.42 billion - Oct 26, 2010
- Now Kolkata joins the 'slutwalk' movement - May 24, 2012
- Jessica Simpson, Eva Mendes, Jessica Alba 'too were bullied at school' - Oct 06, 2010
- Educating boys to respect women - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: activists, bangladesh government, bullying and harassment, college students, eve teasing, killings, proper steps, protestors, protests, right wing, school colleagues, sexual harassment, stalkers, students protest, suicides, taunts, veil, verbal abuse, wing parties, young girls