Bangladesh prime minister to visit Tripura in SeptemberApril 11th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 11 (IANS) Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will visit Tripura in September to boost trade and economic relations between the northeast region and India’s closest neighbour, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said here Sunday.
“I invited Sheikh Hasina when she visited New Delhi in January and again last month during my visit to Bangladesh to attend Bangladesh’s Independence and National Day celebrations. We have received a formal communique from Bangladesh about her visit to Tripura,” Sarkar told IANS.
“On behalf of Tripura, a huge ceremonial reception would be given to Bangladesh premier during the visit,” Sarkar added.
This will be the first visit of any Bangladesh prime minister to northeast India.
According to a senior Tripura government official, Bangladesh High Commissioner to India Tariq Ahmed Karim would visit the state next month to finalise Hasina’s schedule.
The Tripura University, which turned into a central university in July 2007, will confer an honorary D.Litt (honoris causa) to Hasina during her visit to Tripura.
Hasina will attend the Tripura University’s 8th convocation at which President Pratibha Patil will be the chief guest.
“This is for the first time that the Tripura University would confer the honorary D.Litt to any person after the university was set up in 1987,” university vice-chancellor Arunoday Saha told IANS.
He said the president’s visit to the university would help the educational institution develop various curriculums and meet the deficiencies in different segments.
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
- Bangladesh PM to visit Tripura - Sep 11, 2011
- Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Tripura university to set up Bangladesh Study Centre - Jan 25, 2012
- Bangladesh PM in Tripura to revive historic, economic ties - Jan 11, 2012
- Tripura airport being upgraded for Hasina's visit - Jan 06, 2012
- Manik Sarkar again refuses to don convocation robe - Jan 12, 2012
- Controversy over Manik Sarkar's refusal to don convocation robe - Jan 13, 2012
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- India-Bangladesh 'historic' pacts in full swing: Tripura CM - Apr 02, 2010
- Bangladesh keen on joint ventures with India: Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: agartala, chief guest, chief minister, convocation, curriculums, deficiencies, economic relations, educational institution, government official, karim, minister sheikh hasina, national day celebrations, neighbour, northeast india, president pratibha patil, saha, tariq, tripura government, tripura university, vice chancellor