Bangladesh lauds India’s gesture of deporting three criminalsNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:52 am ICT by admin
The Indian authorities on Sunday deported three notorious Bangladeshi criminals Naimul Hasan alias Habibur Rahman Taj, Mohammad Sohel alias Ibrahim and Lambu Selim, a CID official said.
These three were arrested by West Bengal Police few months ago for their illegal stay in India. On completion of their prison term, the alleged criminals were deported to Bangladesh.
“It was possible only because of the co-operation from the West Bengal criminal investigation department,” one official told ANI.
Bangladesh authorities also requested their Indian counterparts to pass on information about five more criminals who are now behind bars in West Bengal jails before deporting them.
For years, India and Bangladesh have accused each other of giving refuge to criminals and for using each other’s territories for criminal and insurgent activity. India claims that there are192 Indian insurgent camps inside Bangladesh, while Bangladesh has countered this charge by saying that there are as many as 23 wanted Bangladeshi felons living in India.
Prokash Kumar Biswas, Molla Masud, Trimoti Subrata Bain, Kamrul Hasan Hannan, Khandakar Tanvirul Islam Joy, Haris Ahmed alias Haris, Imam Hossain, Jabbar Munna, Aga Shamim, and Zafar Ahmed Manik are said to be hiding in West Bengal.
Diplomats from both sides have tried to iron out problems, as there is no extradition treaty between Dhaka and New Delhi.
Bangladesh has detained Anup Chetia, the second in command of the rebel United Liberation Front of Asom, since 1997. He is yet to be handed over to the Indian authorities. By Nazrul Islam (ANI)
- India, Bangladesh sign maps, settle boundary row (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- CBI gets list of Mujibur Rahman's killers - Mar 13, 2012
- Bangladesh positions tanks at cricket stadium entrance - Mar 11, 2011
- Bangladesh objections hold up Tripura projects: Minister - Aug 04, 2012
- Besides Teesta accord, Dhaka wants enclaves issue resolved - Jul 26, 2012
- A Bangladeshi invite for Mamata: Will she go? - Feb 20, 2012
- Hasina may induct veterans in cabinet - Feb 06, 2011
- Four seniors in Bangladesh A team for Windies tour - Oct 25, 2011
- Bangladeshi diplomat confident about Teesta water pact - Dec 16, 2011
- Speed up enclave exchange, say Bangladesh protestors - Sep 24, 2011
- Indians among foreigners to be honoured by Bangladesh - Dec 13, 2010
- India, Bangladesh to finalise border agreement - Jul 29, 2011
- Bangladesh group used Pakistan grenades for terror attacks - Jan 28, 2011
- PM's Bangladesh visit to resolve outstanding issues: BSF - Mar 03, 2011
- Crime trail leads to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants, 140 deported - May 26, 2011
Tags: ahmed, asom, bangladesh, criminal investigation department, criminals, diplomats, gesture, goodwill, haris, hasan, india claims, indian authorities, indian counterparts, insurgent, nazrul islam, taj mohammad, west bengal police