Bangladesh issues alert over cyclone in Bay of BengalApril 16th, 2009 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, April 16 (DPA) Authorities in Bangladesh Thursday alerted coastal residents about an intensifying cyclone in the central Bay of Bengal, officials said.
The Meteorological Department advised coastal residents and crews on fishing boats in the bay to be cautious after the deep depression over the southeast and central Bay of Bengal turned into a cyclone early Thursday.
The cyclone was named Bijli and was centred about 875 km south of the port of Cox’s Bazar and 760 km south of Mongla port at 9 a.m., according to a department statement.
Department officials said the cyclone was moving slowly northward with maximum sustained winds of 60 km per hour.
The storm has made the sea rough, it added. Fishing boats and trawlers have been asked to remain close to the shore and proceed with caution, the statement said.
Many cyclones have made landfall in Bangladesh, causing large losses of lives and property in the past few years. In November 2007, Supercyclone Sidr devastated 12 southern districts, leaving as many as 4,000 people killed and tens of thousands homeless.
- Cyclone Bijli hits Bangladesh coast - Apr 18, 2009
- Bangladesh issues cyclone alert - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Bangladesh braces itself for `Cyclone Aila' - May 25, 2009
- 100 fishermen missing as cyclone hits Myanmar, Bangladesh - Oct 23, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Bangladesh fishermen to get identity cards - Nov 04, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Bijli kills five in Bangladesh - Apr 19, 2009
- Cyclone 'Khai Muk' builds over Bay of Bengal - Nov 15, 2008
- Nine dead as cyclone Aila hits Bangladesh - May 26, 2009
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Nargis may hit Bangladesh coast - Apr 30, 2008
Tags: authorities, bangladesh, bay of bengal, caution, coastal residents, cox, cyclone in bay of bengal, cyclones, department officials, depression, dhaka, dpa, fishing boats, landfall, losses, maximum sustained winds, meteorological department, sidr, tens of thousands, trawlers