Bangladesh hands over militant leader to IndiaApril 10th, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by admin
Agartala, April 10 (IANS) Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) handed over an Indian militant leader to authorities in Tripura, a police official said here Thursday. This is the first instance of Bangladesh deporting a militant sought by India to stand trial for insurgency. The police spokesman said senior BDR officials handed over National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) militant Sujit Debbarma to the Border Security Force (BSF) officials Wednesday through the Khowai border point in west Tripura, 90 km west of here.
“Debbarma joined NLFT in 2000 and went to Bangladesh for arms training after committing a number of crimes in Tripura,” officials said.
This is the first time that BDR has handed over a militant leader to Indian officials.
The NLFT rebel was arrested by the Bangladeshi security forces and sent to jail and was handed over to India Monday.
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Three Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Jul 04, 2012
- Ten Tripura militants surrender with weapons - Nov 03, 2011
- Manipur, Tripura militants caught - Feb 17, 2012
- NLFT militants kidnap three farmers in Tripura - May 07, 2012
- Three Indians crash into Bangladesh territory, held - Dec 27, 2011
- 16 Tripura terrorists flee Bangladeshi camps, surrender - Aug 11, 2010
- Ten Bangladeshi-trained militants surrender in Tripura - Jun 24, 2010
- Tripura farmers released by banned outfit - May 30, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Militants take abducted Tripura villagers to Bangladesh - Jul 24, 2011
- Militants kidnap four workers in Tripura - Nov 27, 2010
- Northeast rebels have camps in Bangladesh, says Tripura - Sep 01, 2011
- 13 Bangladesh-trained rebels surrender in Tripura - Jul 02, 2010
- India, Bangladesh border guards to meet every four months - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: agartala, authorities, bangladesh rifles, border point, border security force, crimes, first instance, India, indian officials, militant leader, national liberation front, nlft, police official, police spokesman, security forces, west tripura