Bangladesh forms panel on Grameen BankMay 16th, 2012 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 16 (IANS) The Bangladeshi government Wednesday set up a commission to ensure a better fate for its famous Grameen Bank following its founder Mohammad Yunus’s removal from the managing director’s post last year.
The four-member commission has been asked to report to the Bank and Financial Institution Division under the country’s finance ministry in three months, reported Xinhua citing an official circular.
The commission, led by a former finance secretary, will recommend ways to ensure good governance, transparency and accountability by finding out weaknesses and barriers in the organisation, according to the circular.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during her Dhaka visit May 5, said that her country did not endorse any action of the Bangladeshi government to “undermine” the achievements of the Grameen Bank.
Clinton also said she had followed the problems stemming from a change in the Grameen Bank’s management.
Bangladesh Finance Minister A.M.A. Muhith later brushed aside Clinton’s comments on the Grameen Bank by saying that the bank was performing well since Yunus’s removal.
Yunus was relieved last March from his position by the Bangladesh bank that he founded in 1983 and won him the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006.
Last May, Yunus lost his final legal battle against a Dhaka High Court judgment which said the micro-credit pioneer’s serving as the managing director of the Grameen Bank since 1999 was illegal as he was then beyond 60 years old.
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- Yunus can't be Grameen managing director: Dhaka - Mar 21, 2011
- Grameen Bank urgently needs a regulator: probe report - Apr 27, 2011
- Government probe clears Yunus on handling of foreign funds - Apr 26, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court confirms Yunus removal from Grameen Bank (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- France takes up Yunus case with Bangladesh - Apr 25, 2011
- Dhaka asks Grameen Bank chief to step down, Yunus refuses - Feb 15, 2011
- Yunus removal didn't help country's image: Minister - Mar 04, 2011
- Talks on for compromise with Grameen's Yunus - Mar 25, 2011
- Yunus fears government is taking over Grameen Bank (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Bangladesh government announces new Grameen Bank chief - May 12, 2011
- Father of micro finance Mohommad Yunus asked to quit Grameen Bank - Feb 22, 2011
- Yunus quits as Grameen Bank managing director (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- Court rejects Muhammad Yunus's petition (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,