Bangladesh ferry capsize toll rises to 110March 14th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, March 14 (IANS) The toll in one of worst ferry collisions in Bangladesh Wednesday rose to 110 as more bodies were found after the wreck was salvaged. A total of 31 bodies were recovered Tuesday.
The MV Shariatpur-1 with over 200 passengers sank early Tuesday in the Meghna river in Munshiganj, 27 km from here, following a head-on collision with a cargo vessel.
At least 79 bodies were recovered Wednesday, Mohammad Shahabuddin Khan, police chief of Munshiganj district, told Xinhua.
He could not tell the exact number of missing passengers but said divers were still searching for more bodies.
Three government committees have been formed to investigate the accident.
Hundreds of relatives and friends of the passengers gathered at the accident site to identify the dead or wait agonizingly for those missing.
Women and children wailed as the sunken vessel was pulled up.
Some survivors said they were asleep when the ferry was hit by the cargo ship.
“Suddenly I got up and found myself in water. I managed to swim ashore. I don’t know what happened to many others who were sleeping like me inside the ferry,” one survivor told Xinhua.
Shipping Minister Shahjahan Khan has announced a compensation of Taka 30,000 (around $370) for families with one dead and Taka 45,000 for families with more than one victim.
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- 31 die in Bangladesh boat capsize (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Four dead, 220 missing as boat sinks in Bangladesh - Mar 13, 2012
- 26 die as boat sinks in Bangladesh (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Seven killed in Bangladesh boat capsize - Jul 07, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- Sinking of Peruvian boat leaves twelve dead, 220 rescued alive in the Amazonas River - May 28, 2010
- 75 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2011
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- 'Maximum punishment for captains of vessels passing sinking ship' - Jul 12, 2011
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- 13 bodies recovered from Peru shipwreck - May 28, 2010
- Poor training and regulation caused Assam boat accident: Global body - May 04, 2012
Tags: bangladesh, cargo ship, cargo vessel, collisions, dhaka, early tuesday, exact number, government committees, head on collision, meghna river, missing women, mohammad, mv, police chief, relatives, shahabuddin, shahjahan, sunken vessel, survivor, xinhua