Ban tells Israel of concern over East Jerusalem, GazaFebruary 25th, 2010 - 7:12 am ICT by IANS
New York, Feb 25 (DPA) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon Wednesday raised his concern over developments in East Jerusalem, Israel’s heritage sites and the ongoing problems in Gaza Strip in a meeting with Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak.
Ban met with Barak at UN headquarters in New York and urged Israel to take steps to allow the resumption of the peace talks on settling the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, said UN spokesman Martin Nesirky.
Ban expressed concern over Israel’s “new demolition order in East Jerusalem and the inclusion of holy sites in occupied West Bank on an Israeli heritage list”.
“The secretary general also expressed concern on the situation in Gaza and his disappointment that Israel has not accepted the UN proposal to kick start a civilian recovery,” Nesirky said.
Ban urged Israel to allow construction materials to enter Gaza as part of plans to rebuild facilities destroyed during the Israel-Hamas conflict in the winter of 2009, Nesirky said.
Palestinians and Arab states have protested Israel’s decision to include some holy sites in the West Bank in its heritage list for the purpose of refurbishing them.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas denounced the Israeli move as a “provocation” and warned of a “religious war” as a consequence. Israel has rejected the warning.
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- UN envoy slams Israel's plan for new housing in East Jerusalem - Aug 12, 2011
- Gaza stops Palestinians from approaching Israel border - Jun 05, 2011
- More Israelis, Palestinians willing to compromise: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Israel claims 2 West Bank sites on its heritage list - Feb 22, 2010
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Israeli settlement activities illegal: UN chief - Mar 28, 2010
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- UN chief urges restraint from Israel, Arab sides - May 16, 2011
- UN calls for New Zealand-led inquiry into Israel's Gaza flotilla raid - Jun 06, 2010
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: arab states, ban ki moon, construction materials, east jerusalem, ehud barak, gaza strip, israeli defense minister, israeli palestinian conflict, jerusalem israel, mahmoud abbas, occupied west bank, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, peace talks, president mahmoud abbas, provocation, religious war, resumption, un secretary general, west bank