Ban Ki-moon welcomes resolution to send observers to Syria (Lead)April 15th, 2012 - 6:05 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, April 15 (IANS) The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the adoption of Security Council Resolution 2042 to authorise the dispatch of the advance team of UN observers to Syria.
The visiting UN Secretary-General met with UN-Arab League Joint Special Envoy Kofi Annan here Saturday evening after the resolution was adopted, Xinhua reported.
Both of them committed to do their best to deploy the observer-team as quickly as possible.
Annan briefed the UN secretary-general on his contacts with the Syrian government and with the opposition, as well as with relevant countries.
He elaborated on the efforts to secure the full implementation of the six-point plan, and to launch a political process.
They also discussed the status of the cessation of violence in Syria, including reports of sporadic violence and the continued presence of the Syrian armed forces in population centres.
Both emphasised the need for the international community to speak and act with one voice in the coming days and months.
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Strengthen ceasefire in Syria: Annan - Apr 23, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- UN observers shot at in Syria: Ban - Jun 07, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- UN observer mission is in Syrian interest: official - Apr 16, 2012
- UN chief wants reduced Syria observer mission - Jul 07, 2012
- Syria welcomes UN monitors, pitches for neutral BRICS - Apr 22, 2012
- UN chief working for peaceful solution in Syria - Jul 22, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- India welcomes Syria ceasefire, wishes Annan success - Apr 13, 2012
- UN chief asks Syria to end violence before 300 monitors arrive - Apr 27, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: adoption, advance team, arab league, armed forces, ban ki moon, cessation, emphasised, geneva, kofi annan, observer team, opposition, population centres, saturday evening, security council resolution, sporadic violence, syria, syrian government, un observers, un secretary general, xinhua