Ban Ki-Moon, UNHCR express concern over emergency in PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:32 am ICT by admin
Appealing to the Musharraf regime to hold the general elections on schedule, he urged authorities in Pakistan to immediately release those detained, to lift restrictions on the media and to take early steps for a return to democratic rule.
“Pakistan has not ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, but the High Commissioner noted that, under accepted rules of international law, fundamental rights, such as the right to life, the prohibition on arbitrary detention, torture and cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment, cannot be suspended even in times of emergency,” Arbour said in a statement.
Arbour went on to say that an emergency should only be imposed to deal with a dire security threat to the nation, not to undermine the integrity and independence of the judiciary.
Arbour called on Islamabad to clarify the status of those detained and ensure that no one is detained for the peaceful exercise of their political beliefs. (ANI)
- Probe Asma Jahangir's death plot, say human rights groups - Jun 06, 2012
- Asma Jahangir awarded UN Bilbao prize for promoting human rights - Nov 18, 2010
- UN calls for investigation into alleged human rights abuses in Syria - Apr 30, 2011
- Now UN rights rapporteur recommends AFSPA repeal - Mar 10, 2012
- Pakistan's bar association elects its first woman chief - Oct 28, 2010
- UN special rapporteur on human rights arrives in Srinagar - Mar 26, 2012
- Amnesty alleges rights abuses in Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Amnesty asks India to stop rights abuse in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- India's human rights defenders need better protection: UN expert - Jan 22, 2011
- Amnesty tells India to stop rights violations in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Iran deplores U.S.-sponsored human rights resolution - Mar 26, 2011
- Pak Govt lodges protest with Ban Ki-Moon, says emergency is an internal matter - Nov 14, 2007
- UN expert says human rights defenders in Mexico are under increasing threat - May 13, 2010
- Excerpts from UN Syrian resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- UN experts say Arizona immigration law may not be compatible with international human rights - May 12, 2010
Tags: arbitrary detention, arbour, asma jehangir, ban ki, degrading treatment, democratic rule, detained, early steps, freedom of religion, fundamental rights, general elections, moon, musharraf regime, opposition activists, pakistan, peaceful exercise, political beliefs, security threat, unhcr, urged authorities