Bainimarama says his new legal order is the future of FijiApril 17th, 2009 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
Suva (Fiji), Apr.17 (ANI): Fiji dictator Colonel Voreqe Bainimarama has claimed that his new “legal order” is the future of the island nation.
In an extraordinary speech to civil servants this morning, stuff.co.nz quoted him a saying that with the abrogation of the constitution “a new Legal Order has been created.
He said: “A new Legal Order means there is no longer the old. There is no need to speculate as to what happened, how it happened, what should have happened or what should not have happened. What is, is now, and the future.”
He said his government is not an interim one or a caretaker one - it is in office until September 2014.
Bainimarama told a gathering of civil servants that there was “down-right abuse” in the civil service and he would clean it up.
“As a first up, from next week, all government vehicles being driven after hours will need to carry permits.”
Police and soldiers would check government vehicles.
Meanwhile Samoa’s Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele said Bainimarama was a puppet master and his “favourite hand puppet” is President Josefa Iloilo.
“The whole thing is a political charade and the whole world is watching. Nobody is fooled and no one is laughing. Frank is only fooling himself. He should go back to the barracks and do what he knows best “which is throwing salutes, beating drums and organizing marching parades,” he said. (ANI)
- Emergency in Fiji as president revokes constitution (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Ex-Fiji PM Mahendra Chaudhry arrested by military regime - Oct 03, 2010
- Fiji president revokes constitution, no election till 2014 (Lead) - Apr 10, 2009
- Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanity - Apr 24, 2009
- Fiji's neighbours disagree on how to deal with its military regime - May 19, 2009
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Fiji's President throws out Constitution and appoints himself Head of State - Apr 10, 2009
- Fiji to be fully suspended from Commonwealth: New Zealand - Jul 29, 2009
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Fiji military government censors media - Apr 12, 2009
- Fiji judges re-appointed - May 23, 2009
- Military government tightens control in Fiji (Lead) - Apr 14, 2009
- Fiji military regime bans all media criticism - Apr 13, 2009
- Fiji strongman Bainimarama back in power (Lead) - Apr 11, 2009
- Fiji president revokes constitution, bans elections to 2014 - Apr 10, 2009
Tags: abrogation, beating drums, caretaker, charade, civil servants, civil service, colonel, constitution, dictator, government vehicles, hand puppet, island nation, josefa, parades, prime minister, puppet master, samoa, suva fiji, voreqe bainimarama