Bail plea of Delhi bombing accused rejected

May 20th, 2008 - 9:05 pm ICT by admin  

New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) A city court Tuesday rejected the bail plea of Gulam Ahmed Khan, one of the accused in the 2005 Diwali-eve bombings in the capital that killed over 60 people, stating that the crime was a serious one. Additional Sessions Judge Bablulal rejected the bail plea and said the investigation was in its initial stages.

The court had Saturday reserved its order on the bail plea and framed charges against Khan, who has been booked under sections 17 and 18 of the Unlawful Activities Act.

The judge had earlier ordered that Khan’s trial be run separately. He, however, Saturday ordered his case be clubbed with those of the four other accused after the medical report stated he is medically fit to face the trial.

The court had also said that the examination of evidence would start July 19, the next date of hearing.

It has already framed charges against the other four accused.

Tariq Ahmed Dar, the alleged mastermind of the bombings, has been charged with waging or attempting to wage war against the government of India (section 121 of the Indian Penal Code-IPC), conspiracy to commit offences for waging war (section 121-A), collecting arms for waging war (section 122), criminal conspiracy (section 120-B), murder (section 302), attempt to murder (section 307), and under section 4 of the Explosives Substance Act and sections 17 and 18 of the Unlawful Activities Act.

Mohammed Rafiq Shah, Mohammed Hussain Fazli, and Farooq Ahmed Batloo have been booked under IPC sections 120-B, 307, 302 and also Section 4 of the Explosive Substances Act.

Three blasts rocked the capital Oct 29, 2005, at the packed Sarojini Nagar market, Paharganj market and in a public bus in Govindpuri, killing over 60 people and injuring over 100.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |