Bahamas detains suspects in attempted Travolta extortionJanuary 24th, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 24 (DPA) Police in the Bahamas have arrested three people believed to be involved in an attempt to blackmail US actor John Travolta over the death of his son Jett, reports said. Jett Travolta, 16, died in early January on the island, where the actor owns a home.
Ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne, Bahama Senator Pleasant Bridgewater and Obie Wilchcombe, a former tourism minister and acquaintance of the family, were detained and questioned by police but no charges had been filed, E!Online reported Friday.
Earlier this week, Travolta’s lawyers confirmed a blackmail attempt.
“Regrettably, in a time of such terrible grief, there are often a few individuals who attempt to make false claims in hopes of making millions of dollars. We will never let that happen,” a statement said.
According to the TMZ.com internet portal, the plot allegedly tried to exhort up to $20 million from the actor. Some unconfirmed media reports suggested that it involved a threat to release photos of the dying boy.
Wilchcombe acted as a family spokesman after Jett, son of Travolta, 54, and his wife Kelly Preston, 46, was found unconscious in the bathroom of the family’s holiday home in Grand Bahama on Jan 2. The boy, who had a history of seizures, died on the way to hospital.
His parents, said he suffered from Kawasaki disease, a rare illness that can cause heart problems. The couple also has an eight-year-old daughter, Ella.
- Bahamas Police gets hold of tapes in Travoltas PS18m extortion attempt - Jan 26, 2009
- John Travolta extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- John Travolta drops extortion charges - Sep 07, 2010
- I am the real victim, says alleged Travolta extortionist - Sep 16, 2010
- Travolta refused medical aid for dying son - Sep 23, 2009
- Travolta listed as a witness in extortion trial - Jan 28, 2009
- John Travolta Drops Extortion Case Against Bridgewater & Lightborne Due to Stress - Sep 07, 2010
- John Travolta blackmail saga continues in court - Oct 15, 2009
- Travolta friend accused in ''extortion plot'' insists innocence - Jan 26, 2009
- Bahamas senator accused in Travolta ''extortion plot'' resigns - Jan 26, 2009
- Travolta Extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Travolta Trial against Bahamas Senator Bridgewater - Sep 22, 2009
- Travolta extortion plot: Three held - Jan 24, 2009
- Details of Travolta extortion plot revealed - Jan 28, 2009
- Kelly Preston And John Travolta Welcome Baby Boy - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: actor john travolta, ambulance driver, dying boy, e online, extortion, family spokesman, grand bahama, heart problems, holiday home, internet portal, jan 24, jett, john travolta, kawasaki disease, kelly preston, lightbourne, obie, rare illness, tourism minister, wife kelly