Baghdad talks may help resolve Iranian n-dispute: ChinaMay 21st, 2012 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 21 (IANS) China has said that talks scheduled for later this week in Baghdad can help resolve the Iranian nuclear dispute as well as promote peace and stability in the region.
Representatives from Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany (P5+1) and the European Union will hold talks on Iran’s nuclear programme Wednesday after the dialogue on the issue was resumed last month in Istanbul, Turkey, Xinhua reported.
Iran has maintained that its nuclear programme is purely for peaceful purposes, but the US-led western nations suspect that Iran is seeking to develop a nuclear weapon.
The Baghdad gathering reflects the willingness of all parties concerned to resolve the issue through dialogue and negotiations, said China’s Assistant Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu during an interview.
“The Baghdad dialogue, if it goes well, will be of significance to consolidating the positive momentum of dialogue and cooperation, further stabilise the situation of Iran’s nuclear issue as well as promote peace and stability of the region,” said the Chinese representative to the talks on Iran’s disputed nuclear programme.
Ma also called upon all sides to respect one another and tolerate the other sides’ concerns and make efforts to create a conducive environment for the talks.
- Remove sanction, Iran tells West - Apr 30, 2012
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- 'West mulling military action against Iran' - May 21, 2012
- Iran sanctions not constructive approach: China - Jan 26, 2012
- Iran: EU seeks India's leverage, Manmohan backs diplomacy - Feb 10, 2012
- Obama's secret message: Iran can have civilian n-programme - Apr 07, 2012
- Six-party n-talks 'positive'; Iran refuses meeting with US (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- China seeks peaceful solution to differences with neighbours (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran nuke talks set for Istanbul - Apr 01, 2012
- Iran hopeful over Baghdad n-talks: Minister - Apr 30, 2012
- India, US on same page on Iran's n-programme (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Clinton says diplomacy with Iran not infinite - Apr 05, 2012
- 'US sending wrong signals over South China Sea' - Aug 05, 2012
- US wants Iraq to plug loopholes on Iran sanctions - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: baghdad, china beijing, conducive environment, dialogue, european union, foreign minister, iranian, istanbul turkey, members of the un security council, momentum, negotiations, nuclear issue, nuclear weapon, p5, peace and stability, peaceful purposes, region representatives, un security council, willingness, xinhua