Bacon sandwich is Britons’ favourite naughty snackOctober 6th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 6 (ANI): When it comes to comfort eating, Britons love to gorge on a bacon sarnie on white bread, according to a new poll.
With their sublime smell and terrific taste, the humble bacon sarnie is still the nation’s favourite “guilty” food, despite the growing popularity of exotic, spicy dishes.
The poll of 1,350 readers the BBC Good Food magazine has confirmed that Thai, Indian, Mexican and Chinese cuisine are far behind the sizzling rashers in white bread as comfort foods.
And the second favourite naughty snack for Britons is a chip butty, or the French fry sandwich.
In fact, a traditional Sunday roast or a tasty cottage pie are still the most frequently cooked meals in British homes, despite increasingly popular Italian pasta dishes, now in second place.
“Despite more sophisticated palates, it’s reassuring to know that favourites like the bacon sarnie still have a place in the nation’s collective kitchen,” The Daily Express quoted Good Food magazine editor Gillian Carter as saying.
Eating cold leftovers and even licking the plate are other food habits that Britons wouldn’t openly admit.
Fishfingers, crisp-filled sandwiches and peanut butter eaten straight out of the jar are also declared favourites when Brits feel like raiding the refrigerator.
However, the survey also reveals the extent to which home cooking in Britain has been transformed over the past two decades by the influence of overseas cuisine.
More than six in 10 people now prepare Indian and Chinese dishes at home - more than twice those who attempted such styles of cooking 20 years ago.
Over one third of those polled create their own green curry and other popular Thai dishes. (ANI)
- Brits rate Bacon sandwiches as their favorite tasty pleasure - Mar 15, 2011
- Britain is gorging on French cuisine - Mar 01, 2011
- Chinese stir-fry is Britain's top dish - Jan 22, 2012
- Europe's oldest vegetarian restaurant on culinary crusade (With Images) - Aug 05, 2011
- Steak, spaghetti beat tikka masala to third place as UK's favourite food - Nov 30, 2010
- Shepherd's pie is Brits' favourite home-cooked meal - Apr 15, 2010
- Catherine Zeta Jones says she loves bacon butty - Jul 24, 2010
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Chinese food is UK's favourite grub - Feb 09, 2010
- Thali goes quick-eat in world of corporate bites (With Images) - Aug 21, 2011
- Zeta Jones diet secret - bacon sandwich - Jul 25, 2010
- 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra - May 08, 2012
- Feast on yam leaf, jungle asparagus when in Himachal (Feature with images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Bengali-Islamic fusion food debuts in Delhi (Eating Out With IANS) - Feb 16, 2011
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: bacon sandwich, bacon sarnie, bbc good food, bbc good food magazine, chinese cuisine, chinese dishes, chip butty, cottage pie, food habits, french fry sandwich, good food magazine, green curry, italian pasta dishes, new poll, rashers, sophisticated palates, spicy dishes, terrific taste, thai dishes, white bread