Baby found in rubble after home explodesJuly 15th, 2011 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 15 (IANS) A baby was found in the rubble of a house that was destroyed by a suspected gas explosion in which four people died and seven were injured.
The blast occurred around Wednesday noon and obliterated the two-storey house in Salem. It scattered remnants of wood, cinder blocks, insulation, clothes and furniture and other rubble as far as 100 yards away, the New York Daily News reported.
Eleven people were in the house when the explosion took place, neighbours stated.
Authorities said a woman who lived at the house, a young man whose uncle lived there and an 18-year-old woman from Hudson Falls, New York, were killed at the scene.
Another person died at the hospital later.
State police said they were still investigating the cause of the explosion, but they suspected a leaking propane tank was involved.
Residents of the rural community, 40 miles northeast of capital Albany, said the blast could be heard for miles.
A neighbour, Joseph Brandmeyer, told WNYT television that he ran to the scene after hearing the blast and began pulling survivors from the rubble, including a baby.
“I pulled the baby out and got her there on the grass and she started to breathe,” Brandmeyer told the station.
- 17 died in New Year fires across Russia - Jan 03, 2012
- 11 killed in Pakistan hotel blast - Aug 14, 2011
- 11 injured in Britain gas explosion - Nov 02, 2010
- Three more Iranians held in Bangkok bombing case - Feb 27, 2012
- 20 dead, nearly 200 wounded in Kabul fire - Jul 05, 2012
- Newlywed Erica Marshall dies in a freak accident - Feb 14, 2012
- Iran envoy blames Israel for Bangkok bombings - Feb 19, 2012
- Third Iranian suspect in Bangkok bombing held in Malaysia (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Eight killed in China mine blast (Lead) - Jul 09, 2010
- Police seek motive in Times Square smoking car bomb (Third Lead) - May 02, 2010
- New Zealand quake: Mum dies with baby in her arms - Feb 23, 2011
- Bangkok bombing's Iranian suspect held in Malaysia (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Fire kills 32 in Peru rehab centre - Jan 29, 2012
- Al Qaeda suspect killed in Iraq - Jul 26, 2011
- Four killed in Pakistan bombing - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: authorities, cinder blocks, clothes, furniture, gas explosion, grass, hudson falls new york, insulation, neighbour, neighbours, new york daily news, old woman, propane tank, remnants, rubble, rural community, state police, survivors, york daily news, young man