Baby boom as UK couples warm up in the coldMarch 27th, 2011 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 27 (ANI): Would-be parents, snuggling down to beat last winter’s freezing temperatures, have sent UK’s birth rate soaring to the highest level since monthly records began.
New statistics showed that almost 10,000 babies more than average were born in England and Wales from September to November last year - nine months after temperatures plummeted to an average 0.9C during last winter’s ‘Big Freeze’.
And experts are expecting another boom in births this autumn after snow kept millions of couples cosying up indoors when snow covered Britain in December, reports the Daily Mail.
The NHS Information Centre said the number of deliveries in NHS hospitals in England and Wales in October last year was up 4,719 to 60,274 or 8.5 percent on the month’s 55,555 four-year average.
October was also the first month to top the 60,000-delivery mark since monthly figures were first collected in April 2006.
In September the number of babies was up four percent on the month’s average and 5.5 percent in November. (ANI)
- Britain to see baby boom as harsh winter forced couples indoors - Aug 26, 2010
- Britain braces for cold again - Mar 03, 2012
- Babies born by caesarean more likely to be obese - May 24, 2012
- It's official: It was the coldest December in Britain in 120 years - Jan 01, 2011
- South Korea's retail sales growth negative in November - Dec 15, 2011
- In Britain, half of women turn mums in their 30s - Oct 21, 2011
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- Apex court relief for Himachal on power sharing - Sep 27, 2011
- China's inflation likely to ease in November - Nov 30, 2011
- Himachal's bountiful snow raises hopes from hydropower - Mar 03, 2011
- Snow and ice blanket Britain - Feb 05, 2012
- Deep freeze threatens Britain - Feb 03, 2012
- Spring has sprung in Britain - Mar 01, 2012
- Himachal apple yield looks ruddy again - Jan 25, 2012
- Feeling cold in the plains? Head to the hills! - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,