Babies among 19 dead in South Africa bus wreckJanuary 15th, 2011 - 7:56 pm ICT by BNO News
BETHLEHEM, SOUTH AFRICA (BNO NEWS) — At least 19 people were killed on Saturday morning when a passenger bus carrying around 40 people veered off a road in South Africa, rescue workers said.
Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks said that the accident happened on the R26 highway between Fouriesburg and Bethlehem, in the eastern Free State province. Wicks said the bus veered off the road before crashing into a shallow stream.
“Netcare911 Paramedics arrived at the scene to find that the bus had veered from the road and ploughed into a roadside furrow and shallow stream,” Wicks said. “All indications are that the passengers were thrown forward on impact.”
Around 40 people were believed to have been on the bus, of which at least 19 had been killed and 10 others critically injured. “The exact number of patients remains unclear as many were rushed from the scene in civilian vehicles prior to the arrival of medics,” Wicks said.
Among the fatalities were several infants.
- Bus crash kills at least 19 in South Africa - Jan 15, 2011
- Scores injured when taxi overturns in South Africa - Dec 29, 2010
- One dead, twenty injured in South Africa bus-taxi crash - Dec 20, 2010
- Nearly 100 injured in South Africa train crash - Jan 15, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- 30 people killed in head-on collision in South Africa - Dec 11, 2011
- Security officer shot in the head at South African airport - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Humphrey the Hippo' kills owner in South Africa - Nov 13, 2011
- Man hospitalized after being headbutted by giraffe - Mar 06, 2012
- Scores injured after trains collide head-on near Johannesburg - Sep 10, 2010
- Four killed in China bus accidents - Jan 08, 2012
- Two die when small plane crashes in South Africa - Aug 21, 2010
- 18 killed in South African retirement home inferno - Aug 02, 2010
- 5 killed in China bus accident - Jun 30, 2012
- Tour bus accident northwest of Tokyo kills 7, injures 39 - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: babies, bethlehem south africa, bno, civilian vehicles, exact number, free state province, medics, netcare 911, paramedics, passenger bus, roadside furrow, saturday morning, shallow stream, spokesman, wicks