Azerbaijan to host global singing contestMay 2nd, 2012 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Baku (Azerbaijan), May 2 (IANS) Azerbaijan, the Eurasian nation, will host an international singing contest in May, that is expected to attract singers from 42 countries and more than 20,000 spectators from around the world.
The Eurovision-2012 Song Contest will be held May 22-26, Xinhua reported.
This will be the first time the country is hosting such an event.
Two semi-finals of the 57th annual contest will be held May 22-24 and the final May 26.
The contest is held among member countries of the European Broadcasting Union. Each member country submits one song to be performed on live television. The winning country hosts the next contest.
At the 2011 Eurovision song contest held in Germany, Azerbaijani duo Eldar and Nigar’s song “Running Scared” won the top prize and won their country the chance to host this year’s contest.
Azerbaijani authorities have also announced a simplified visa procedure for the event. Accredited delegates, journalists and fans can obtain entry visa upon arrival at the Baku International Airport.
The government has spent $7.6 million in the construction of the Baku Crystal Hall, the venue for the contest.
Azerbaijanis believe the contest will be a great opportunity for the country to be recognised by the world.
“Though the Azerbaijani government is spending hundreds of millions of dollars for the Eurovision contest, it is worthwhile, as it can improve Azerbaijan’s international image,” 23-year-old Rashad Ali told Xinhua.
- 22 Azerbaijanis suspected of spying for Iran held - Mar 15, 2012
- Baku to host 2014 European Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship - Feb 10, 2012
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- Clinton seeks Russia, China's help in Syrian crisis - Jun 07, 2012
- Backlash over BBC's decision to send Englebert Humperdinck to Eurovision Song Contest - Mar 07, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Georgia submits formal bid for 2020 Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Pakistan gears up for World boxing meet - Sep 21, 2011
- India keen on energy cooperation with Azerbaijan - Sep 25, 2011
- UAE, Azerbaijan seek to boost trade ties - May 08, 2011
- Azerbaijan promises $500,000 for Olympics gold winner - Jul 04, 2012
- 22 Azerbaijanis face trial for spying for Iran - Aug 29, 2012
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Moscow countdowns to Eurovision extravaganza - May 17, 2009
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
Tags: azerbaijani, baku azerbaijan, crystal hall, eldar, eurasian nation, european broadcasting union, eurovision contest, eurovision song contest, international image, live television, member countries, member country, nigar, rashad ali, s song, semi finals, singing contest, spectators, visa procedure, xinhua