Azerbaijan may cut oil productionDecember 17th, 2008 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Oran (Algeria), Dec 17 (RIA Novosti) Azerbaijan is ready to slash oil output by 300,000 barrels per day (bpd) if the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) announces production cuts on Wednesday, the country’s industry and energy minister said.”We have a real possibility to cut (production) by up to 300,000 barrels per day,” Natik Aliyev said.
“We currently produce 840,000 bpd and we will keep oil output in Azerbaijan at 540,000 bpd within the next few months,” he said.
Opec is scheduled to hold an extraordinary meeting in Algeria Wednesday to decide on further reductions in oil production amid weak global oil prices. The cartel is expected to decide to reduce production by some two million bpd.
World oil prices have fallen by more than 60 percent from a record high of $147 per barrel in July to under $50, as the global credit crunch has reduced demand for fuel.
Aliyev said the South Caucasus nation considered a crude price of $65-80 per barrel as fair, adding that the country could eventually join the world oil cartel.
Russia, which accounts for over 10 percent of global oil output, is also expected to support Opec’s decision on oil output cuts.
Opec President Chakib Khelil earlier had proposed inviting Russia, Norway and Mexico to join the oil cartel earlier this month.
He said these oil producing countries should show solidarity with Opec either by joining it or by cutting crude output to prevent global oil prices from falling.
- OPEC oil price rises as cartel curbs production - Dec 18, 2008
- Global oil market oversupplied: Iran - Nov 30, 2008
- OPEC oil price goes up ahead of expected production cut - Dec 16, 2008
- Opec oil prices rises - Dec 15, 2008
- OPEC maintains current oil output in Cairo meeting - Nov 30, 2008
- Opec crude price falls below $60 despite output cut - Oct 27, 2008
- OPEC agrees to slash output by two million barrels - Dec 18, 2008
- Ecuador wants to hike oil output - Jul 08, 2011
- OPEC crude price rises ahead of expected output cut - Oct 21, 2008
- OPEC predicts declining oil demand and oversupply for 2009 - Dec 16, 2008
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Russia may cut oil output by 300,000 barrels a day - Dec 15, 2008
- Colombia has record oil output in February - Mar 10, 2011
- OPEC cartel faced with future risks in its 50th year - Sep 10, 2010