Average Briton swears 14 times a dayJanuary 16th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 16 (ANI): It seems that Britons need to learn some good manners, for a new survey has revealed that nine out of 10 adults admit to swearing everyday.
The average Briton now swears a staggering 14 times a day, with 90 per cent of the adults no longer affected by the use of expletives.
According to the critics, increasing use of expletives on television has led to the bad language.
Broadcaster Esther Rantzen, who is also a patron of Campaign for Courtesy, admits that there is too much swearing on television and something has to change
It is becoming ludicrous and banal. We dont want society to go that way too, the Daily Express quoted Rantzen as saying.
Celebrities like Gordon Ramsay and controversial presenter Jonathan Ross are being blamed for the increasing use of bad language.
This sort of language is damaging our culture and the way we speak to each other, said John Beyer, of Mediawatch UK,
Children as young as four, five and six are copying it and it is undermining our language. There is no place for unnecessary swearing on television, he added.
Conservative MP and Daily Express columnist Ann Widdecombe said: I think it is clear that the amount of swearing in society has been enormously influenced by the amount of swearing on television, in films and even in books.
The fact remains that there are many people who do not like casual and consistent swearing and are offended by it when they hear it in public. But these days sometimes all you can do is stare in disbelief when you hear this kind of language.
Seventy-eight per cent of the people surveyed even admitted to swearing regularly for no reason whatsoever, while the overwhelming majority 98 per cent admitted that they swore when they lost their temper. (ANI)
- British TV turning vulgar due to rise in swearing - Sep 13, 2009
- 90pct parents swear in front of kids - Feb 15, 2009
- Britons prefer spending more on TV than car - Dec 02, 2011
- Kids swear as soon as they learn to speak - Sep 25, 2010
- 1 in 3 Britons has had public sex - Jul 19, 2010
- Britons preferring a hug to a handshake - May 24, 2012
- Two in three Britons cannot speak any foreign word - Nov 19, 2011
- 1 in 5 Brits wear their undies at least 250 times before buying new ones! - Dec 02, 2010
- Swann apologises for loss of temper, swearing in WC game - Mar 14, 2011
- Half of Brits 'would erase all personal data online over reputation fear' - Apr 19, 2011
- A third of Brits believe a guardian angel is watching over them - Dec 23, 2010
- 1 in 10 Brits use mobiles for online shopping - Nov 29, 2010
- Most Brits risking hearing with MP3 volumes louder than pneumatic drill - May 03, 2011
- Quarter of Brits lie about their days off to impress others - Mar 07, 2011
- Princess Diana is the dead person Britons would most like to reach - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,