Avalanche kills 45 in Afghan province (Lead)March 12th, 2012 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, March 12 (IANS) At least 45 people were killed Monday when an avalanche razed 13 houses in eastern Afghan province of Nuristan, an official said.
“The incident happened in Guru and Koshan villages of Madol district in the early hours of Monday and so far 45 people including women and children have been confirmed dead,” deputy to provincial governor Qazi Mohammad Nabi Ahmadi told Xinhua.
He also said that the casualties could go up as rescue operation is going on in the remote area of the province some 180 km east of capital city of Kabul.
More than 50 people had been killed when snow avalanche hit neighbouring Badakhshan province earlier this month, Afghan officials said.
Parts of Afghanistan have received heavy snowfall over the past one month. More than 40 people lost their lives due to heavy snows in the mountainous Badakhshan province last month while dozens of people including children died in Kabul due to freezing weather during the winter.
- Avalanches in northeastern Afghanistan kill 44 - Mar 07, 2012
- 37 killed in avalanche in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2012
- Four killed in Afghanistan avalanche - Feb 05, 2012
- Cold kills 24 kids in Afghan province (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Rare snowfall stuns South Africa - Aug 09, 2012
- 25 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- 16 bodies found in Afghanistan - Aug 07, 2010
- 24 killed in Afghan flash floods - Jun 23, 2012
- Avalanche kills 35 in Afghanistan - Mar 23, 2010
- 18 militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2011
- Seven die in Afghanistan blast - Feb 28, 2012
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- Afghan police find bodies of six Germans, two Americans - Aug 07, 2010
- 70 dead in Afghanistan avalanches (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010