Australians spend about $1bn annually on cosmetic proceduresMarch 31st, 2011 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, March 31 (ANI): A conference of surgeons has heard that Australians spent about 1 billion dollars a year on cosmetic procedures, including breast augmentation and liposuction.
The annual Cosmetex conference, run by the Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery (ACCS), opened in Hobart featuring about 700 Australian and international doctors.
ACCS president Russell Knudsen said the global downturn had not adversely affected the Australian industry.
“Demand for cosmetic medical procedures has continued to rise with college member practices reporting increases of 10-20 per cent over the last 12 months,” News.com.au quoted Knudsen as saying.
“When you consider the number of cosmetic procedures performed, and the number of take-home anti-ageing products consumed, it is reasonable to estimate that Australians now spend as much as 1 billion dollars annually on appearance medicine,” he said.
Knudsen said there were around 16,000 breast augmentations performed in the last year and 15,000 liposuction procedures. (ANI)
- An 'explosion' in the number of boob jobs in run-up to Christmas - Dec 08, 2010
- Boob job 'most popular cosmetic surgery procedure' - Mar 27, 2011
- Oz women as young as 18 taking overseas cosmetic-surgery holidays - Jun 09, 2010
- Recession hurts US plastic surgery industry - Apr 28, 2010
- Growing number of North American teens turning to cosmetic surgery - Jun 19, 2010
- Growing number of Malaysian men turning to cosmetic surgery - Aug 22, 2010
- Breast implants recalled over rupturing fear - Apr 04, 2010
- Now, liposuction and breast enhancement in one go - Feb 10, 2010
- Six pack abs with surgery? It's illusionary but real! - Feb 01, 2011
- How about a dimple on your cheek as V-Day gift! - Feb 11, 2010
- Moms' latest fad- the boob-lift, tummy-tuck "mommy makeover" - May 03, 2011
- Operation leads to triple-sized breast! - Jul 18, 2009
- Help at hand for men with enlarged breasts - Feb 04, 2011
- US woman steals credit card for bigger boob job, jailed - Dec 07, 2010
- Clinics promote rewards, not risks, of cosmetic surgery - Feb 25, 2009
Tags: 1 billion dollars, 12 months, anti ageing products, appearance medicine, australasian college, australians, breast augmentation, college member, cosmetic medical procedures, cosmetic procedures, cosmetic surgery, global downturn, hobart, international doctors, liposuction, medicine, melbourne march, member practices, months news, russell knudsen