Australians among six NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead)June 21st, 2010 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 21 (DPA) Six soldiers including three Australians were killed Monday in a helicopter crash and two roadside bombings in southern Afghanistan, officials said.
Three Australians and a NATO soldier were killed in the helicopter crash in the southern province of Kandahar, officials said.
Ten of the soldiers on board were Australians, and the crash was an accident, Australia’s Defence Force said in a statement.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), to which Australia contributes troops, said four soldiers were killed, without giving their nationalities or other details.
“There are no indications of enemy involvement,” ISAF said.
Monday’s deaths came in the same month as two others for Australia, bringing the country’s death toll in Afghanistan to 16.
Elsewhere, two NATO soldiers were killed by roadside bombs in the same region, ISAF said. The military did not reveal the nationalities of the victims.
Monday’s deaths took the overall number of ISAF troops killed in the Afghan conflict to 280 so far this year. Sixty foreign soldiers were killed so far in June, the alliance’s deadliest month of 2010.
The US and NATO plan to increase the total number of troops to 150,000 by August, from more than 120,000 currently based in the country.
- Bomb blast kills 5 more NATO troops in southern Afghanistan - Aug 11, 2011
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
- Nine killed in Afghan helicopter crash (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Mar 27, 2012
- Afghan chopper crash kills four NATO soldiers - Jun 21, 2010
- 11 killed in NATO chopper crash in Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2012
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- British, Estonian troops killed in southern Afghanistan - Oct 16, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in eastern Afghanistan - Aug 03, 2011
- Two soldiers killed in NATO chopper crash - Jun 06, 2012
- Insurgents kill NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Nov 10, 2011
- NATO soldier dies in Afghanistan - Apr 29, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Rogue Afghan soldier kills two British troops in southern Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: afghan conflict, australians, death toll, deaths, defence force, helicopter crash, international security assistance, isaf, june 21, kabul, kandahar, nationalities, nato plan, nato soldiers, roadside bombings, roadside bombs, six soldiers, soldiers killed in afghanistan, southern afghanistan, southern province