Australian woman jailed for plying son with alcoholNovember 4th, 2010 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Nov 4 (IANS) An Australian woman who plied her five-year-old son with drink was jailed Thursday, a media report said.
Kylie Eastwood, 36, appeared at a court in Latrobe city in eastern Victoria to be sentenced over the July 20, 2008, incident, the Herald Sun reported.
Eastwood will serve eight months for giving her son at least four units of liquor.
Judge Margaret Rizkalla said Eastwood would serve at least five months before she is eligible for parole.
Judge Rizkalla said the most recent relapse, in April of this year, where Eastwood became intoxicated and turned on the gas in her home while her eight-month-old baby was in the house was another incident that showed inappropriate care of her children.
The court Wednesday heard Eastwood cheered the boy on as he downed the alcohol in her kitchen.
Eastwood Wednesday pleaded not guilty to the charges. Her lawyer, John Verhoeven, argued she had not intended to cause physical harm to her son by allowing him to have some liquor.
But the court said Eastwood knew the effects of alcohol and knew the impact it would have on her son.
“It was clear that she herself had significant alcohol problems,” Judge Rizkalla said.
“She was aware of the effect of alcohol on herself and others. She was aware that a child was more vulnerable,” the judge said.
- Chinese woman poisons herself, three kids - Apr 01, 2012
- Irish female rapist told to get help for 'sexual aggression' - Feb 18, 2011
- Australia needs more judges for sex trials - Jul 11, 2010
- Eight years later, illicit liquor vanishes in thin air - Apr 14, 2012
- US woman who sent back Russian boy to pay $150,000 - May 18, 2012
- Youth arrested for raping infant in Delhi - Aug 17, 2012
- Alicia Keys derives inspiration from mom - Jun 18, 2011
- Female teacher jailed for sex with boys - Dec 21, 2010
- Lindsay Lohan handcuffed and sent to jail - Jul 21, 2010
- Oz man who sexually abused 12-yr-old daughter jailed for more than 11 years - Oct 06, 2010
- Nandita Das bestowed French honour - Apr 16, 2011
- Search on for abandoned girl's parents in Rajasthan - May 23, 2012
- Lily Allen gets a new name - Aug 06, 2012
- Father confirms Allen's pregnancy news - Jul 17, 2012
- Boozing Miley Cyrus branded 'bad role model for youngsters' - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: alcohol problems, australian woman, eastern victoria, effect of alcohol, effects of alcohol, eight months, five months, herald sun, inappropriate care, lawyer, liquor, melbourne, month old baby, physical harm, relapse, rizkalla, verhoeven