Australian teenager held for killing IndianJune 17th, 2010 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, June 17 (IANS) A 15-year-old Australian boy was Thursday arrested in connection with the murder of Indian student Nitin Garg, who was stabbed to death in Melbourne earlier this year.
The boy, who was arrested in Yarraville, is expected to be presented in a Children’s court Thursday. Homicide detectives said the accused will be charged with one count of murder.
Garg, 21, an accounting graduate, was stabbed Jan 2 as he walked through Cruickshank Park in Melbourne’s west on his way to a Yarraville Hungry Jack’s outlet, where he worked part time.
After the stabbing, Garg staggered to the fast food outlet, at the corner of Somerville and Geelong roads, and died later.
Detective Inspector Bernie Edwards, of the Homicide Squad, said police believed race was not a factor in the murder.
“At this stage, we don’t believe it was racially motivated,” he was quoted as saying by The Age.
He said Garg’s family in India had been informed about the arrest.
The police are still searching for the weapon used in the murder, Edwards said, adding that the killing was not believed to be gang-related.
- Second Australian teenager held for killing Indian - Jun 18, 2010
- Australian teenager held for killing Indian (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Australian teenager held for killing Indian (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Indian student Nitin Garg was 'chased twice before' death in Melbourne - Oct 21, 2010
- Another Oz teen charged over murder of Nitin Garg - Jun 18, 2010
- Oz teen arrested for murder of Indian Nitin Garg - Jun 17, 2010
- Oz teenager pleads guilty of being accessory to murder of Indian student Nitin Garg - Oct 22, 2010
- Another Australian boy pleads guilty to Indian's murder - Oct 22, 2010
- Oz top cop 'guarantees safety' to Nitin Garg's killers - Jan 07, 2010
- Oz police replicate Nitin Garg's final moments to help nab his killers - Jan 24, 2010
- Oz teen pleads guilty to Indian student Nitin Garg's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Australian police step up probe into Garg murder - Jan 24, 2010
- Australian police to reconstruct Indian's fatal stabbing - Jan 23, 2010
- Indian student chased twice before being killed in Australia - Oct 21, 2010
- Australian teen gets 13-year jail for killing Indian student - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: accounting, australian teenager, detective inspector, edwards, fast food, food outlet, gang related, garg, geelong, homicide detectives, homicide squad, hungry jack, India, melbourne, nitin, part time, yarraville