Australian police to reconstruct Indian’s fatal stabbingJanuary 23rd, 2010 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 23 (IANS) The final moments of Nitin Garg, who was fatally stabbed in this Australian city Jan 2, will be reconstructed by the police in an effort to catch his killer.
The police plan to return to Yarraville in Melbourne’s west to retrace the last steps of the 21-year-old accounting graduate before he was fatally stabbed.
At about 9.30 p.m., a man dressed as Garg will walk from the Yarraville railway station and cut across Cruickshank Park along a metre-wide dirt path on the eastern side of the park to Hungry Jack’s restaurant.
Garg, who hailed from Punjab, was on his way to work at the restaurant when he was attacked. He staggered into the outlet with stab wounds before collapsing. He was rushed to hospital but didn’t survive.
There has been a series of attacks on Indians in Australia and Nitin Garg’s slaying caused an uproar in India. The assaults on Indians have strained relations between New Delhi and Canberra.
“We have been dedicated to this case,” AAP quoted Detective Senior Sergeant David Snare as saying.
“This is just another step in the investigation and we will continue to heavily focus our efforts.”
“Someone in the community knows who has committed this horrendous crime.”
The string of attacks on Indians in Australia started last May, with Indian taxi drivers being targeted in some recent incidents.
Three Indian taxi drivers were attacked in different Australian cities Jan 16. While a 25-year-old taxi driver was assaulted in Melbourne, two more, one of whom was a student, were attacked in Ballarat.
The attacks came a day after a man was sentenced to three months in jail for assaulting and threatening to kill another Indian taxi driver in Melbourne.
- Oz police replicate Nitin Garg's final moments to help nab his killers - Jan 24, 2010
- Australian police step up probe into Garg murder - Jan 24, 2010
- Two years ago, universities warned Canberra of attacks on Indians (Roundup) - Jan 23, 2010
- Two Indian students attacked in Australia - Jan 26, 2010
- Indian taxi driver attacked in Australia - Jan 15, 2010
- Indian student Nitin Garg was 'chased twice before' death in Melbourne - Oct 21, 2010
- Five charged with attacking two Indian students in Australia (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Indian taxi driver in Australia stabbed in the lung - Jan 21, 2010
- Oz teenager pleads guilty of being accessory to murder of Indian student Nitin Garg - Oct 22, 2010
- Two Australians charged with assaulting Indian - Jan 23, 2010
- Another Indian attacked in Australia, dies - Jan 03, 2010
- Another Indian taxi driver assaulted in Melbourne - Jan 20, 2010
- Second Australian teenager held for killing Indian - Jun 18, 2010
- Another Australian boy pleads guilty to Indian's murder - Oct 22, 2010
- More Indians assaulted in Australia - Jan 16, 2010
Tags: australian cities, australian police, canberra, detective, dirt path, garg, horrendous crime, hungry jack, indians in australia, melbourne, New Delhi, police plan, railway station, recent incidents, sergeant, snare, stab wounds, taxi driver, taxi drivers, uproar