Australian navy intercepts 119 asylum seekersJanuary 8th, 2012 - 11:29 am ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 8 (IANS) A boat carrying 119 asylum seekers has been intercepted by the Australian Navy off the country’s west coast, the immigration department has said.
The HMAS Maryborough, operating under the Border Protection, intercepted the boat of asylum seekers around 35 km north of Christmas Island, Xinhua reported.
The 119 passengers and two crew members on board will be transferred to Christmas Island where they will undergo initial security, health and identity, officials said.
Opposition border protection spokesman Michael Keenan said this proved that the people smuggler trade was thriving in 2012. The arrival of three boats in the first week of the New Year demonstrated the ruling Labor government’s failed policy on border protection, he said.
- Australia intercepts boats carrying more than 300 asylum seekers - May 07, 2012
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- Australian Border Protection Command intercepts suspected people smuggling vessel with 40 on board - Apr 10, 2010
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Seven kids among dead in Australia boat capsize (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Australian Navy nabs boats with 54 suspected asylum-seekers - Mar 15, 2009
- Kids cry for help as 27 die in Australia boat capsize (Second Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- Australian Government defers processing of Sri Lankan, Afghan asylum claims - Apr 09, 2010
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Rudd says will review ban on Lankan, Afghan asylum seekers - Apr 11, 2010
- Three dead as Australia-bound refugee boat explodes - Apr 16, 2009
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- Tamil refugees challenge Oz security intelligence ruling - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: asylum seekers, australian navy, border protection, christmas, christmas island, crew members, hmas, immigration department, initial security, labor government, melbourne, michael keenan, navy intercepts, new year, opposition, smuggler, spokesman, three boats, west coast, xinhua