Australian milk product exports to India to resumeMarch 3rd, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 3 (ANI): Exports of Australian milk products to India are set to resume for the first time since 2003 following an agreement between the governments of both countries.
Australian dairy exports to India were worth around 6 million dollars annually when the trade was suspended after the Indian Government changed its requirements for importing goods.
The Australian Government is hopeful that exports will grow beyond the 2003 mark when trade recommences in the near future.
The Indian Government recently approved a new system for the health certification of Australian milk products developed by the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service, News.com.au reported.
Trade Minister Simon Crean said the reopening of the trade reflected the growing agricultural relationship between Australia and India and the benefits of ongoing cooperation on bilateral trade issues.
Indias changing demographics, particularly its growing middle class and urbanisation, is creating real potential for the trade growth and Australia is well placed to provide high-value dairy products, Crean said.
Agriculture Minister Tony Burke said it was an important opportunity for the industry at a time when Australian dairy producers were going through a difficult period.
The breakthrough in India follows the signing of the ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Free Trade Agreement last week that will deliver better access for Australian dairy farmers to a South East Asian market with more than 600 million people. (ANI)
- Australia to reopen dairy exports to India - Mar 03, 2009
- Pawar urges states to increase milk production - Nov 18, 2011
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Mining, energy new areas of Indo-Australian cooperation - May 03, 2010
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- Indian ban to hit Pashupatinath's festival in Nepal - Feb 20, 2011
- Australian Trade Minister calls for intensified Doha negotiations - Sep 02, 2009
- Indian must reduce dependence on agriculture: Australian study - Oct 24, 2011
- ASEAN markets more accessible to Indian companies: FICCI - Sep 25, 2011
- Ensuring milk security for the Indian consumer (Comment) - May 20, 2011
- China restricts food imports from Japan - Mar 26, 2011
- Dairy sales keep New Zealand trade in surplus - Jan 27, 2012
- FTA would complement Indian reforms: New Zealand minister - Jul 27, 2012
- India, Australia to begin free trade talks - May 02, 2011
- Supply constraints pushing up food inflation: KPMG - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, asean, asian market, australian dairy farmers, australian government, australian quarantine inspection service, bilateral trade, dairy exports, dairy producers, difficult period, free trade agreement, health certification, importing goods, indian government, milk product, milk products, news com au, simon crean, trade minister, urbanisation