Australian Labour MP charged with child pornography offencesApril 21st, 2011 - 1:22 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr 21 (ANI): An Australian Labour MP has been charged for allegedly accessing child pornography.
The man, who cannot be named until his committal, was arrested at his house in Adelaide’s northeast suburbs, News.com.au reported.
He was charged with two counts of possessing child pornography and two charges of taking steps to access child pornography.
The police are still investigating the case, and the MP will appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court on May 20.
Police said the arrest was the result of the Sexual Crime Investigation Branch’s ongoing ‘Operation Decimate’, which targets people who use the Internet for child exploitation-related offences.
The maximum penalty for possessing child pornography in South Australia is five years jail for a first offence, and the maximum penalty for an aggravated offence in seven years jail.
It is believed several laptops were seized from the MP’s suburban home, while turmoil swept state political circles after details of the incident emerged. (ANI)
- Australian politician faces child porn charges - Apr 21, 2011
- US woman jailed for abusing daughter, 2, on web-cam as teen watched in UK - Mar 16, 2011
- Oz student jailed for seeking 'vampire sex' online from girls under 14 - Feb 10, 2011
- Child porn charges against MP leaves South Australian Labor Party shocked - Apr 22, 2011
- Child porn website mastermind held in Australia - May 21, 2011
- Oz teenagers who engage in 'sexting' could land in jail - Mar 09, 2010
- Oz man first to be convicted in 'sexting' case involving nude 13-yr-old girl - Nov 01, 2010
- Canadian police arrest Vaughan man on child pornography charges - Jan 16, 2010
- Oz teacher jailed for secretly filming pupils undressing - Aug 09, 2010
- UK cops smash paedophile ring that sexually abused 2 young girls - Nov 27, 2010
- Case of Tasmanian MP accused of having sex with girl, 12, returns to court - Apr 12, 2010
- Man facing 99 child sex charges gets bail - Oct 25, 2011
- Woman 'breaks into house, rapes man' - Mar 22, 2012
- I collected child porn for thesis: Man tells court - Jun 26, 2011
- Madam charged over Asian prostitute ring on Queensland's Gold Coast - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: adelaide, australian labour, child exploitation, child pornography, committal, crime investigation, first offence, investigation branch, labour mp, magistrates court, maximum penalty, news com au, northeast suburbs, ongoing operation, political circles, sexual crime, south australia, suburban home, taking steps, turmoil