Australian held for smuggling animal mummies in EgyptDecember 25th, 2008 - 4:20 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Dec 25 (DPA) An Australian teacher who allegedly tried to leave Cairo with 2,000-year old animal mummies and statues was charged with smuggling antiquities Wednesday.An official at the airport became suspicious at the small statues that were wrapped as gifts in the 61-year-old teacher’s suitcase.
When unwrapped, it was found that the tourist had two mummies of a cat and an ibis, a long-beaked bird. He also had 19 statues of the ancient Egyptian gods Horus and Thoth.
Horus is a falcon-headed god, the son of Isis and Osiris, while Thoth, believed to have given people the gift of hieroglyphic writing, is often depicted with the head of an Ibis.
Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) said that the artifacts weighed about 5.5 kg.
The man, who was heading to Thailand, has been charged with smuggling antiquities, which can carry a penalty of up to 15 years.
Animal mummification was a common practice throughout Egyptian history. Certain animals, such as ibises and cats, thought to be holy, were mummified and placed alongside the dead in their tombs.
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - May 20, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- New York woman makes mummies out of dead pets - May 17, 2011
- Temple of Tut's grandad could be home to ancient statues - May 18, 2010
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- Statue of Tutankhamun's grandfather found - Oct 04, 2010
- Relic of 2000-yr-old Egyptian deity found at Silchester - Jul 19, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Egyptian experts to help conserve mummy in Hyderabad museum - Jul 29, 2009
- Egyptian queen was offered bread and beer during her funeral 4,000 years ago - Mar 06, 2010
- Egypt unearths 3,400-year-old Pharaoh statue - Nov 05, 2010