Australian cricketers coaxed back to JaipurMay 17th, 2008 - 1:18 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, May 17 (IANS) Faced with the threat of losing future earnings in the Indian Premier League (IPL), Australia’s contingent from the Rajasthan Royals franchise were coaxed back to Jaipur despite their fears following Tuesday’s deadly terrorist attack in the capital city of Rajasthan. Shane Warne, Shane Watson and Victorian-based team manager Darren Berry, as well as South African Graeme Smith, were reportedly told Friday that if they left the country - which they seriously contemplated - they may not receive further offers to play in the lucrative Twenty20 tournament, reported the Sydney Morning Herald.
All four were taking a break in Goa at the time the bombs were detonated near the team hotel in Jaipur.
Berry told the Herald Thursday they were considering flying out of the country. The father of three, who had been in contact with his concerned wife in Melbourne, confirmed a decision would be made after meeting team owners.
There is now speculation the four men were pressured at the meeting to return or suffer the financial consequences.
The four were reportedly reminded about their contract to play the full season and the danger of not being considered for subsequent IPL seasons if they pull out now.
IPL chief executive Sunder Raman took exception to Berry’s reported remarks in the media on the Jaipur situation and said: “Berry is talking through his hat. He has no idea what India is all about.”
Tags: australian cricketers, bombs, chief executive, contingent, financial consequences, four men, goa, graeme smith, hotel in jaipur, ipl, morning herald, premier league, royals, shane warne, shane watson, speculation, sydney morning herald, team hotel, terrorist attack, twenty20