Australian Christian lobby chief’s anti-gay tweet sparks outrageApril 25th, 2011 - 4:14 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Apr 25 (ANI): Australian Christian lobby chief Jim Wallace has sparked off an online outrage by saying on Twitter that the country’s soldiers did not fight and die for gays and Muslims.
Wallace, who is well known for his hostile views on gay marriage, made the comments on Anzac Day, the day Australia remembers soldiers who died during First World War.
“Just hope that as we remember Servicemen and women today we remember the Australia they fought for - wasn’t gay marriage and Islamic,” news.com.au quoted Wallace, as saying.
The retired brigadier’s comment invited immediate condemnation.
“Jim Wallace of the Australian Christian Lobby should be ashamed, using Anzac Day to push a homophobic and racist agenda,” wrote a Twitter user in response to Wallace’s remarks.
Wallace apologized about an hour after he posted the tweet. “Ok, you are right, my apologies this was the wrong context to raise these issues. Anzac mean too much to me to demean this day, not intended,” he wrote. (ANI)
- WWE star apologizes for his homophobic slur at a fan - Jul 05, 2011
- Chris Brown talks his way out of parking ticket despite yelling homophobic slur - Jun 24, 2011
- Australia holds 9/11 ceremony - Sep 11, 2011
- Kirk Cameron voices his opinion against gays - Mar 06, 2012
- Swiss Olympian kicked off team after sending racist tweet - Aug 01, 2012
- Australian PM rescued by riot police during protest - Jan 26, 2012
- Oz PM Gillard to visit Japan, S. Korea, China and UK - Apr 13, 2011
- GOP candidate sorry for comparing gay marriage to marrying a dog - Oct 31, 2010
- Bristol Palin apologizes for sister Willow's homophobic slurs on Facebook - Nov 18, 2010
- Stephanie Rice not homophobic, says Matthew Mitcham - Sep 08, 2010
- Chris Brown apologizes for homophobic slur on Twitter - Dec 31, 2010
- Yahoo fires journalist after Romney joke - Aug 31, 2012
- Palins' Facebook target refuses to accept apology - Nov 20, 2010
- Willow Palin Defends Sarah Palin's Show With Homophobic Slurs On Facebook - Nov 18, 2010
- Stephanie Rice apologizes over homophobic tweet - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: anzac day, apologies, australia, australian christian lobby, brigadier, canberra, condemnation, first world war, gays, islamic news, jim wallace, marriage, muslims, outrage, racist agenda, tweet, twitter, views on gay marriage, wrong context