Australian boycott may end Hewitt’s run in Davis CupApril 26th, 2009 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, April 26 (IANS) Australia’s decision to pull out of the Davis Cup tie in Chennai may end the stellar Cup career of its most experienced campaigner, Lleyton Hewitt.
Australia face suspension for their withdrawal from their Asia-Oceania Group I third round tie and can even be relegated to Group II.
The 28-times champions Saturday announced their decision not to send their team after International Tennis Federation (ITF) Friday rejected their appeal to switch the tie out of India for security concerns.
Regardless of what transpires, the stand-off can halt Hewitt’s run in Davis Cup.
“It could easily happen. He will consider his response but this could spell the end of his Cup career which would be disappointing,” Hewitt’s manager David Drysdale was quoted as saying in the daily Australian.
Hewitt, 28, has won more Davis Cup singles matches than any other Australian and helped Australia to four finals in five years from 1999-2003, including trophies in 1999 and 2003.
- Switzerland defeats Australia 3-2 in Davis Cup play-off - Sep 19, 2011
- Australia to appeal against Chennai as Davis Cup venue - Apr 19, 2009
- Pat Rafter, Tony Roche set to inspire Oz Davis Cup team - Oct 20, 2010
- India declared winner after Australia forfeits Davis Cup tie (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Indian tennis body sore with ITF for letting Australia off lightly - May 23, 2009
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
- Australia risks ban, fine by refusing to play tennis in India (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Apr 25, 2009
- World tennis body voted for Chennai: Khanna - Apr 18, 2009
- Davis Cupper Woodbridge condemns ITF for sticking Oz-India clash in Chennai - Apr 22, 2009
- Davis Cup: Japan takes unbeatable 3-1 lead against India - Sep 18, 2011
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- India to play Japan in Davis Cup World Group play-off - Jul 13, 2011
- ITF refuses Davis Cup tie in Pakistan - Dec 22, 2010
- TA to appeal if suspended for Davis Cup pull-out - Apr 26, 2009
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
Tags: asia oceania, australia, boycott, campaigner, cup career, davis cup, davis cup tie, drysdale, face suspension, India, international tennis federation, itf, lleyton hewitt, melbourne april, security concerns, trophies