Australia urged to dramatically boost military might to face ‘rising’ China challengeFebruary 5th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Feb 5(ANI): Australia will need nuclear-powered attack submarines among a range of weapons systems to deal with the security dangers posed by China’s massive military build-up, one of the government’s chief military advisers has said.
Professor Ross Babbage, who served on the government’s advisory panel for the 2009 Defence White Paper, believes that Australia should acquire a fleet of 12 nuclear-powered attack submarines.
He has also called for developing a conventionally armed cruise and ballistic missile capability to be carried on new “arsenal ships”.
“Australia cannot overlook the way that the scale, pattern and speed of (Chinese) People’s Liberation Army’s development is altering security in the Western Pacific,” the Australian quoted Babbage, as saying in a new paper.
Babbage believes that China’s massive military expansion is focused on “striking United States and allied forces in the Western Pacific”.
“Australia has to develop an effective response. The challenge posed by the rising PLA is arguably one of the most serious that has confronted Australia’s national security planners since World War II,” Babbage said.
“China is for the first time close to achieving a military capability to deny United States and allied forces access to much of the Western Pacific rim,” he added. (ANI)
- India's rising clout worries China as it builds military might: US report - Aug 17, 2010
- Iran developing n-powered submarine - Jun 13, 2012
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- China's anti-ship missile, submarine threats: Indian Navy - Dec 02, 2011
- China must strengthen its nuclear capabilities, says daily - Sep 07, 2012
- US to build eight billion pound super base in Guam to contain China - Oct 26, 2010
- Indian Navy inducts n-powered attack submarine - Apr 04, 2012
- Russian Navy working on 30-year development plan - Feb 06, 2012
- Pentagon voices alarm over China's military build up - Aug 17, 2010
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- China says nuclear weapons only for self-defence, vows to implement 'no first use' policy - Aug 14, 2010
- Agni-V, Risat launches UPA achievements: PM (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- 'US-led war games detrimental to Asia-Pacific stability' - Aug 05, 2012
- Missiles of the world - a look at countries' arsenals - Apr 19, 2012
- US wants 'significant' naval ties with India to protect sea lanes - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,