Australia to appeal against Chennai as Davis Cup venueApril 19th, 2009 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, April 19 (IANS) Tennis Australia (TA) Sunday confirmed that it would challenge the International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) decision to retain Chennai as the host for the India-Australia Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Group I tie.
Security fears prompted TA last month to request ITF to move the tie to a neutral venue after the Mumbai terrorist attacks and the ambush of the Sri Lankan cricketers.
But the ITF announced Saturday the playoff would go ahead as scheduled in Chennaif May 8-10 following “a positive report from the ITF’s security consultants” on the safety of the venue.
TA said it will lodge its appeal against the decision Monday, still hopeful of having the tie moved.
Amid fears, Australia’s star Davis Cupper Lleyton Hewitt could opt out of the tie. Hewitt’s manager David Drysdale said Hewitt is awaiting the outcome of TA’s appeal before making his next move.
“We talked about it and we’re waiting to see what TA’s result is, but I don’t think he’s ready to make any comments,” Drysdale was quoted as saying in The Australian.
“We should hear something in the next 48 hours and I think, like all players, he’ll make a decision then - if a decision needs to be made.”
The winner of the tie will qualify for World Group play-off.
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
- India declared winner after Australia forfeits Davis Cup tie (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Australia risks ban, fine by refusing to play tennis in India (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Apr 25, 2009
- Switzerland defeats Australia 3-2 in Davis Cup play-off - Sep 19, 2011
- India will host next Davis Cup tie against Australia - Jul 17, 2009
- Chennai as Davis Cup venue never in doubt: Khanna(Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Australian boycott may end Hewitt's run in Davis Cup - Apr 26, 2009
- Tennis federation to send security experts to Chennai (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
- Pat Rafter, Tony Roche set to inspire Oz Davis Cup team - Oct 20, 2010
- Australian pullout leaves Indian Davis Cup squad disappointed - Apr 25, 2009
- World tennis body voted for Chennai: Khanna - Apr 18, 2009
- Davis Cupper Woodbridge condemns ITF for sticking Oz-India clash in Chennai - Apr 22, 2009
- Australia faces ban, fine over refusal to play India in Davis Cup - Apr 25, 2009
- TA to appeal if suspended for Davis Cup pull-out - Apr 26, 2009
- Australia may boycott India Davis Cup tie following Chennai being declared safe - Apr 24, 2009
Tags: ambush, asia oceania, chennai, cup asia, cup venue, cupper, davis cup, drysdale, group play, india australia, international tennis federation, itf, lleyton hewitt, melbourne april, neutral venue, security consultants, security fears, sri lankan cricketers, tennis australia, world group