Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tieApril 18th, 2009 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne/New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) The decision of the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to retain Chennai as the venue of India-Australia Davis Cup tie has not gone well with Tennis Australia (TA) and might prompt a boycott from the 28-times champion.
The ITF Davis Cup committee Friday decided not to change the venue by near unanimous vote with four of the five members voting in favour and only Australia dissenting.
“The rebuff triggered speculation Saturday that Australia would consider other avenues of appeal — including head-of-state security — and possibly a boycott,” Herald Sun reports.
It seems unlikely team spearhead Lleyton Hewitt, Australia’s most decorated Davis Cup player, will travel to India for the match, the report said.
Hewitt’s manager, David Drysdale, said: “We are awaiting to see Tennis Australia’s response.”
The third round Asia Oceania Zone Davis Cup tie is to be held in Chennai May 8-10. But TA requested ITF last month to switch the venue, citing security concerns post Mumbai terror attack and the ambush of Sri Lankan cricketers in the Pakistani city, Lahore.
All India Tennis Association(AITA) secretary general, who is in Chennai to oversee the preparation, refused to comment on the news but remains hopeful of the tie taking place in the southern Indian metropolis.
“Of course, Australia has the right to appeal (against the decision) to the board of directors but I have not received any official information from Tennis Australia,” Khanna told IANS.
“I am quite confident Australia will come to Chennai for the tie.”
- Australia to appeal against Chennai as Davis Cup venue - Apr 19, 2009
- India declared winner after Australia forfeits Davis Cup tie (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Chennai as Davis Cup venue never in doubt: Khanna(Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Australia risks ban, fine by refusing to play tennis in India (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Apr 25, 2009
- Australia faces ban, fine over refusal to play India in Davis Cup - Apr 25, 2009
- World tennis body voted for Chennai: Khanna - Apr 18, 2009
- Australia may boycott India Davis Cup tie following Chennai being declared safe - Apr 24, 2009
- Tennis federation to send security experts to Chennai (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
- Australian boycott may end Hewitt's run in Davis Cup - Apr 26, 2009
- TA to appeal if suspended for Davis Cup pull-out - Apr 26, 2009
- India retain Davis Cup team for Australia tie - Apr 16, 2009
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- Indian tennis body sore with ITF for letting Australia off lightly - May 23, 2009
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- India will host next Davis Cup tie against Australia - Jul 17, 2009
Tags: aita, asia oceania, confident australia, course australia, cup committee, davis cup, davis cup tie, drysdale, head of state, herald sun, india australia, indian metropolis, international tennis federation, lleyton hewitt, sri lankan cricketers, state security, tennis association, tennis australia, terror attack, unanimous vote