Australia invites Indian PM on official visitNovember 4th, 2010 - 2:13 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Nov 4 (IANS) Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has been invited to make an official visit to Australia next year, an official said Thursday.
According to Australian Associated Press, Singh, who will be in Perth in October next year for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), has been invited to extend his time in Australia for a separate official visit either before or after the CHOGM, a spokesman for Australian premier Julia Gillard said.
Singh has yet to formally accept the invitation and the Indian high commission in Canberra Thursday declined to comment, the report said.
Singh met with Gillard on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit last Saturday in Vietnam’s capital Hanoi.
India is Australia’s fourth biggest export market and over 400,000 people living in Australia claim Indian ancestry.
It is expected Mnmohan Singh’s visit may go some way to allaying concerns about safety of Indian students.
There had been a string of attacks on Indian students in Australia, causing outrage in India. The assaults mainly took place in Melbourne and Sydney.
- Manmohan Singh to visit Oz next year - Nov 04, 2010
- Australia taking steps to check attacks on Indians: PM - Oct 30, 2010
- Vice president heading to Australia for CHOGM - Oct 24, 2011
- Krishna to renew pitch for uranium sale in Australia - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian students will be safe, Aussie PM says - Jun 20, 2012
- Aussie media lobbies for uranium for India - Oct 29, 2011
- Qantas strike grounds CHOGM heads - Oct 30, 2011
- Krishna to go to Australia, uranium sale, FTA on agenda - Jan 13, 2011
- PM meets Clinton, three prime ministers - Oct 30, 2010
- Australia wants stronger economic ties with Pakistan - Oct 31, 2011
- Bilateral with Australia called off - Oct 30, 2011
- Australia to hold 9/11 ceremony - Sep 08, 2011
- Australia relents on lifting uranium ban, India hails move (Second Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- Gillard did nothing on attacks on Indians: WikiLeaks - Mar 30, 2011
- Queen opens CHOGM 2011 - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: australian associated press, chogm, commonwealth heads, east asia summit, export market, heads of government, indian ancestry, indian high commission, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, indian students, julia gillard, living in australia, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sydney nov, time in australia, visit sydney