Australia include rookie Laughlin for one-day seriesMarch 12th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, March 12 (IANS) Australia Thursday included uncapped Queensland pacer Ben Laughlin for the one-day series and the two Twenty20 matches in South Africa.
If Laughlin makes his international debut, then he will follow in the footsteps of his father Trevor, who played three Tests and six one-dayers from 1978-79.
The 26-year-old Laughlin was selected after a great one-day season during which he claimed 23 wickets at 14.86 from 11 matches and a place in the title-winning side.
National Selection Panel chairman Andrew Hilditch said: “We also take the opportunity to introduce Ben Laughlin to Australian cricket. Ben has had an extremely good summer for Queensland and was instrumental in their one-day final victory. Ben will add to the versatility of the Australian bowling line up as we continue to look at options progressing forward to the 2011 World Cup.”
Sixteen players were selected for the Twenty20 matches while David Warner and Shane Harwood will return to Australia after the two games.
“David Warner has been added for the Twenty20 games only. He is an exciting player who has had a very strong domestic season in one-day and Twenty20 cricket and had a dynamic initial impact in Australian Twenty20 cricket.
“We have also rewarded Shane Harwood for a number of outstanding years in domestic cricket. We want to take the opportunity to look at Shane as a possible option for the World Twenty20,” Hilditch said.
The selectors decided to rest fast bowlers Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle, who are in the Test squad, have been rested to keep them fresh for the forthcoming World Twenty20 and the Ashes.
“Both Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle are being rested from the South African one-day series as part of their workload management to prepare for their possible inclusion in key upcoming events which include the World Twenty20 and the Ashes,” said Hilditch.
The squad: Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice-captain), Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Brett Geeves, Brad Haddin (wicketkeeper), Nathan Hauritz, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Adam Voges, Cameron White, David Warner, Shane Harwood.
- Queensland pacer Ben Laughlin called up for Australia''s one-day, Twenty20 squads - Mar 12, 2009
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Uncapped Doherty, Smith in Oz squad in place of Hauritz for first Ashes Test - Nov 20, 2010
- Clarke to lead Australia in Sydney, Haddin vice-captain (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- Hussey, Siddle, Bracken dropped from Australia Twenty20 squad - Aug 11, 2009
- Australia to rest Mike Hussey against India - Feb 11, 2012
- Australia calls up Dutch pacer Nannes for 20-20 clash against England - Aug 11, 2009
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Australia drop Starc, Christian from 11 for Boxing Day Test - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: australian bowling, australian cricket, captain michael, captain nathan, david warner, domestic cricket, final victory, forthcoming world, hilditch, initial impact, international debut, melbourne march, national selection, panel chairman, selection panel, siddle, test squad, twenty20 cricket, vice captain, workload management