Australia announces Endeavour AwardsMay 15th, 2009 - 6:55 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 15 (ANI): The Australian Government has announced the Prime Minister’s Australia Asia Endeavour Awards to provide scholarships for the best university students from Australia and Asia.
Australia’s High Commissioner to India, John McCarthy said: “I am sure that India will provide some of the best and deserving candidates for these scholarships. The scholarships will help strengthen the educational links between our two countries. Indian students have shown a keen interest in studying in Australia in recent years and India is now the second top-source country for Australia’s international education industry, with over97,000 Indian enrolments in Australia in 2008″.
“This initiative will support a heightened relationship with future leaders in the region in years to come. The Australian governmentis committing$14.9million over four years to establish this scholarship program and I am confident that this will yield beneficial results,” McCarthy added.
Australia offers a range of study and research scholarships and awards available to candidates in the Asia Pacific region, and 102 Indian students have received these awards in the past 18 months.
The Prime Minister’s Awards highlight the increasing importance of education to the Australia-India relationship. Australia is also committed to strengthening links between Australian and Indian educational institutions to further the growing bilateral relationship.
The Endeavour Awards are the Australian Government’s internationally competitive, meritbased scholarship program providing opportunities for citizens of the Asia-Pacific, Middle East, Europe and the Americas to undertake study, research and professional development in any field of study in Australia. Awards are also available for Australians to do the sameabroad.
The Australian Government recently announced a new scholarship program as part of its response to the 2020 Summit. The Prime Minister’s Australia Asia Endeavour Awards will provide scholarships for the ‘best and brightest’ university students from Australia and Asia. These scholarships will support a heightened relationship for future leaders which can be expected as their careers progress.
The Government is committing $14.9 million over four years to establish this scholarship program.
Commencing in 2010, forty scholarships will be awarded annually, twenty at undergraduate level and twenty at postgraduate level, to allow Australian university students to undertake up to one year of study in Asia, which can be followed by an internship or work placement in Asia. Ten scholarships will also be awarded to the top international Endeavour Awards scholars from Asia each year.
The following have been identified as priorities for both incoming and outgoing scholars: China (including Hong Kong and Macau SARs); India; Indonesia; Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. (ANI)
- Indians 'deserving candidates' for Australian scholarships - May 19, 2009
- Oz envoy launches book to celebrate significant achievements of Indians Down Under - Feb 17, 2011
- Australia awards 26 high achieving Indians - Feb 23, 2012
- Seven Indian students get prestigious Australian scholarship - Sep 21, 2010
- 103 Indians died in Australian attacks: Vayalar Ravi - Aug 03, 2011
- Seven Indians awarded Australian scholarship (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Seven Indians win Australian scholarship - Sep 21, 2010
- Two Indians get Australia-India Council Young Media Fellowships - Jan 15, 2010
- Australia to give detailed report to India on action taken against perpetrators - Sep 25, 2009
- 50 Pak students meet for Global UGRAD-Pakistan orientation - Dec 30, 2010
- Ex-Oz envoy to India appointed Chair of Australia-India Council - Dec 22, 2009
- Australia announces changed Skilled Migration program - Jul 01, 2010
- Oz govt. launches its new 'Study Melbourne' website in Hindi - Apr 15, 2011
- Britain announces 60 new scholarships for Indians - Mar 28, 2012
- Victoria launches new multi-million dollar "Engaging India" plan - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: asia australia, asia pacific region, australia awards, australia india, beneficial results, bilateral relationship, deserving candidates, east europe, importance of education, india relationship, indian educational institutions, indian students, international education industry, john mccarthy, relationship australia, research scholarships, scholarship program, source country, study in australia, studying in australia