Aussie tearaway Tait raring to make a comeback

July 11th, 2008 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS  

Sydney, July 11 (IANS) Australian fast bowler Shaun Tait, who is in the preliminary 30-man squad for the Champions Trophy, is surprised at his selection and said that he is raring to make a comeback. Tait walked away from the game, in late January, citing physical and mental exhaustion. But the 25-year-old last month expressed his desire to make a come-back and share the bowling workload of the Australian cricket team.

A fit and fresh Tait is yet to bowl at pre-season training but believes he could be ready to play again next month. He is undertaking a normal pre-season training programme with South Australia, which includes running and weight training.

“The break so far has worked well,” Tait was quoted as saying in The Australian. “I feel fresh and raring to go. I’ve really been missing cricket a fair bit just watching the guys playing in the West Indies.”

“I won’t be bowling for another week and a half and I haven’t played for a long time,” Tait said. “I could get ready to play in August but I don’t know what the selectors want from me. I haven’t spoken to the selectors.”

If Tait is to play in the eight-nation Champions Trophy in September, which appears to be moved from Pakistan to South Africa for security reasons, then he needs to play in the short one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin, which begins late next month.

It seems that the selection panel comprising chairman Andrew Hilditch, David Boon, Merv Hughes and Jamie Cox, will wait until they meet again next month before deciding Tait’s immediate future.

“Shaun had a significant impact in our World Cup victory (last year) and at his best is a formidable weapon in one-day cricket,” Hilditch said.

In 18 one-day internationals, Tait has 33 wickets at 23.45 and was a star in the World Cup after replacing an injured Brett Lee.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |